British police arrest sixth man over suspected terror plotSeptember 18th, 2010 - 12:58 am ICT by IANS
London, Sep 17 (DPA) British police said a sixth man was arrested Friday in connection with a suspected terrorist plot to attack Pope Benedict XVI in London during his ongoing state visit to Britain.
Earlier, Scotland Yard said they were questioning five men of North African origin after dawn raids on business premises in central London.
The men were working as street cleaners for a contractor employed by Westminster Council in an area of central London visited by the pope Friday.
However, searches at the depot where they worked, and their homes in north and east London, had not, so far, revealed any weapons or suspicious materials.
Anti-terrorism officers arrested the men after a tip-off about suspicious activity late Thursday.
The security alert led to a review of the massive security operation surrounding the pontiff.
- Six suspects involved in 'Pope plot' freed without charge - Sep 19, 2010
- Sixth suspect arrested in London over terror plot - Scotland Yard - Sep 18, 2010
- Pope meets political leaders, celebrates mass in London - Sep 18, 2010
- Six terror suspects arrested during Papal visit to London - Sep 18, 2010
- Protests as pope apologises for sex abuse 'crimes' (Second lead) - Sep 18, 2010
- Five terror suspects arrested in London during Papal visit - Sep 17, 2010
- Pope concludes Britain visit with mass, beatification - Sep 19, 2010
- Brit 'terror suspects' might sue police for false detention over unproven plot against Pope - Sep 20, 2010
- Pope in London on second leg of Britain visit - Sep 17, 2010
- Pope Benedict's butler to face trial for stealing letters - Aug 13, 2012
- Susan Boyle expected to perform for Pope during his visit to Britain - Jun 11, 2010
- Artists record song for pope's visit to Mexico - Mar 12, 2012
- Five held on terror charges in Britain (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Pope John Paul II To Be Beatified By Vatican On May 1 - Jan 15, 2011
- Pope travels to Britain for four-day visit - Sep 16, 2010
Tags: african origin, benedict xvi, british police, business premises, central london, dawn raids, east london, five men, massive security operation, police arrest, pontiff, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, scotland yard, sixth man, suspicious activity, terror plot, terrorist plot, weapons, westminster council