British opposition leader’s son diesFebruary 25th, 2009 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 25 (IANS) British opposition leader David Cameron’s severely disabled son died Wednesday at the age of six, his Conservative Party announced.
Cameron was often seen carrying Ivan, his eldest son, and is reported to have spent many nights by his son’s bedside in hospital before going to work the next day.
“It is with great sadness that David and Samantha Cameron must confirm the death of their six-year-old son Ivan,” a Conservative Party spokesperson said.
“Ivan, who suffered from cerebral palsy and severe epilepsy, was taken ill overnight and died at St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington, early this morning. David and Samantha would ask that their privacy is respected at this terribly difficult time.”
The Camerons have two other children, Nancy, five, and Arthur, three.
Ivan, who featured in a Christmas card sent by the Camerons last year, required intensive round-the-clock care throughout his life and his condition is understood to have deteriorated suddenly Tuesday.
Ivan’s condition meant that it was necessary for his parents and his carer to take it in turns to be with him throughout the night.
The man bidding to be Britain’s prime minister has described his family as the most important part of his life, placing it ahead of running the country.
“The fact is that whatever I do or don’t achieve in politics, nothing matters as much as my family. Nothing is tougher, or will give me greater satisfaction, than raising my children properly,” he wrote in a newspaper article a few months after becoming Tory leader.
“And it goes without saying that my children couldn’t care less whether I become prime minister or not,” he added.
- Samantha Cameron talks of 'devastation' of losing a child - Mar 30, 2011
- Our baby kicks like Beckham: David Cameron - Aug 19, 2010
- British prime minister's wife gives birth to baby girl - Aug 24, 2010
- Camerons name baby after village - Aug 26, 2010
- Samantha Cameron quits her job - May 14, 2010
- Stella McCartney donates sketch to auction - May 05, 2012
- David Cameron's father dies during French holiday (Second Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- David Cameron, friend of India, could be new British PM - May 07, 2010
- David Cameron, Tory moderniser, ends 13-year Labour era (Profile) - May 12, 2010
- China, Canada to build Alzheimer's research centre - Oct 24, 2011
- Cerebral palsy, leading cause of child disability in India - Dec 03, 2010
- British PM thought wife was killed in 9/11 attack - Sep 11, 2011
- British PM's wife bakes cakes for street party - Apr 27, 2011
- US cop finds starving, caged 6-yr-old eating her own flesh to live - May 04, 2011
- David Cameron's 7-yr-old daughter wants to become a pop star - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: camerons, carer, cerebral palsy, christmas card, clock care, conservative party, david cameron, eldest son, epilepsy, ivan, london feb, newspaper article, nothing matters, opposition leader, party spokesperson, prime minister, s hospital, sadness, samantha, tory leader