British MPs vote to give Gurkhas right to live in BritainApril 30th, 2009 - 12:48 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 30 (ANI): British MPs belonging to the Labour Party and the Conservative Party have backed a Liberal Democrat motion by 267 votes to 246 to give Gurkhas the right to live in the UK, dealing a major blow to the Gordon Brown Government over his refusal to allow the veterans to live in the country.
The vote is not legally binding, but opposition leaders insist that ministers must now abandon new rules on admitting Gurkhas and their families introduced last week.
Under the new rules, only Gurkhas with at least 10 years’ service are eligible to come to Britain. Other foreign nationals serving with the British Armed Forces can apply after only four years, The Telegraph reported.
The High Court last year declared that preventing Gurkhas who had served in the British Army before 1997 from living in this country was unlawful.
In response, the Home Office last week issued fresh criteria for allowing Gurkhas into the UK, but set the bar for entry so high that campaigners say that only a few hundred veterans will ever qualify.
At an impromptu press conference outside the Commons after the vote, both Nick Clegg, the Lib Dem leader, and David Cameron, the Tory leader, said the Prime Minister must now change his policy.
Gurkhas have served the British crown since 1815 and have amassed battle honours including 26 Victoria Crosses. (ANI)
- UK Govt. agrees on non-EU skilled migration cap of 43,000 in 2011-12 - Nov 23, 2010
- Brit Govt's support dramatically down, claims Guardian Poll - Dec 27, 2010
- David Cameron Takes Spot As New British PM, Clegg To Be Deputy - May 12, 2010
- Lib Dem-Labour deal likely only if Brown steps down - May 09, 2010
- Lib Dem leader Clegg almost as popular as Churchill - Apr 18, 2010
- Gurkhas fight it out in British parliament - Apr 29, 2009
- Lib Dem support sinks to lowest level since origin: Poll - Jan 05, 2011
- Lib Dems may lose half of their voters in next election: Poll - Dec 12, 2010
- Liberal Democrats can win May 6 polls: Clegg - Apr 28, 2010
- Brown lied in saying that Gurkhas living in UK would cost taxpayers 1.4 billion pounds - May 03, 2009
- Tories, Liberal Democrats agree on deal outline (Third Lead) - May 10, 2010
- Brit Deputy PM Nick Clegg to be portrayed in new hip-hop musical - Apr 25, 2011
- Gloves off for allies in British constituency - May 17, 2010
- Treachery, cry Tories after Clegg and Brown talk - May 11, 2010
- Conservatives' Anti EU integration memo leak jeopardises possible Lib-Tory alliance - May 09, 2010
Tags: 10 years, battle honours, britain london, british armed forces, british army, british crown, campaigners, conservative party, david cameron, foreign nationals, gordon brown, gurkhas, impromptu press, labour party, liberal democrat, nick clegg, opposition leaders, prime minister, telegraph, tory leader