British MP slammed for calling dyslexia a mythJanuary 15th, 2009 - 2:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 15 (ANI): A British MP is under attack from dyslexia campaigners after claiming that the disorder is a myth.
While writing in an online column for website Manchester Confidential, Graham Stringer, Labour MP for Blackley, claimed that dyslexia was a “cruel fiction” used by educationalists to conceal poor teaching methods.
“The education establishment, rather than admit that their eclectic and incomplete methods for instruction are at fault, have invented a brain disorder called dyslexia,” the Independent quoted him as saying.
“To label children as dyslexic because they”re confused by poor teaching methods is wicked,” he added.
Stringer also said that children were being encouraged to spell badly for, if they convinced teachers they were dyslexic, they could get more time to complete their exam papers.
The charity Dyslexic Action hit back at the MP, and said that dyslexia was a “very real” condition.
It said that the condition was not just a reading difficulty, but a combination of abilities and difficulties that affected the learning process. (ANI)
- Now, a toolkit for dyslexic students in Indian schools - Jul 25, 2012
- No link between dyslexia and lack of musical ability - Apr 09, 2010
- Dyslexia secret of Da Vinci and Picasso's success - Nov 14, 2010
- London riots: disorder spreads to Manchester, West Midlands - Aug 10, 2011
- Neuroimaging 'predicts' which dyslexics will learn to read - Dec 21, 2010
- Dyslexia defined: 'Uncoupling' between IQ and reading - Dec 18, 2009
- Chinese dyslexic kids harder to treat: Study - Oct 13, 2009
- Did Da Vinci's dyslexia help him to be a master painter? - Nov 12, 2010
- 'Indian teachers still not trained to tackle dyslexia' (With Image, Sep 5 is Teacher's Day) - Sep 05, 2009
- Einstein, Churchill were not dyslexic, says expert - Jan 08, 2009
- Differences in brain's language circuits linked to dyslexia - May 11, 2010
- Innovative toolkit to speed up learning in dyslexic kids - Jan 27, 2010
- Cerebral palsy, leading cause of child disability in India - Dec 03, 2010
- Why kids with ADHD have difficulty in concentrating - Jan 06, 2011
- Why dyslexic kids face difficulties in distinguishing speech from noise - Nov 12, 2009