British mom kills kids, spends night with bodiesJune 19th, 2012 - 7:51 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 19 (IANS) A British woman faces at least 38 years in prison on charges of killing her two children while they slept in a hotel room in Spain and spending the night with their lifeless bodies.
Lianne Smith, 45, admitted suffocating her five-year-old daughter Rebecca Smith and 11-month-old son Daniel with a plastic bag at a hotel in Lloret de Mar in the Costa Brava coastal region in May 2010.
She went on trial at the Provincial Court in Girona, in northeast Spain. A jury will determine whether she is criminally responsible for the children’s deaths, The Sun reported.
Her defence lawyer is seeking an acquittal, claiming the woman was in a state of “psychiatric disturbance” when the incident took place
The killings took place shortly after the woman’s partner was arrested in Barcelona by Spanish police acting on a European arrest warrant. He was deported to Britain.
The family had been living in Spain since 2007 after fleeing Lichfield, Staffordshire, when the man was accused of sexually abusing a young girl.
The following day, the woman asked the hotel’s reception for the police and an ambulance to be called. She confessed to the police and judicial authorities that she had killed her children.
- Mom jailed for 30 years for killing two kids - Jul 05, 2012
- Kylie Minogue's beau to spend time with her parents - Jul 25, 2010
- Man goes on stabbing spree in Moscow - Dec 10, 2011
- Oxford student jumps balconies, plunges 25 feet - Apr 07, 2012
- Woman Killed Pit Bull Dog for Chewing on Bible - Jan 26, 2011
- Son arrested for his 86-year-old mother's death - Dec 20, 2010
- Mom hands son over to cops fearing murder - Jan 07, 2012
- Woman killed while resisting robbery - Mar 07, 2011
- Dog killed for chewing on Bible - Jan 26, 2011
- Women pretends to be UP legislator, arrested - May 29, 2012
- Woman commits suicide with two kids, lover - Jul 25, 2012
- West Ham United player arrested for groping 'breast and bum' of clubber - Oct 21, 2010
- Depressed mum kills kids - Jul 30, 2011
- British woman's eyes gouged out - Apr 30, 2011
- Veerappan's widow acquitted in all cases in Karnataka - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: acquittal, british woman, coastal region, costa brava, daughter rebecca, defence lawyer, european arrest warrant, girona, hotel in lloret de mar, judicial authorities, killings, lifeless bodies, living in spain, lloret de mar, provincial court, psychiatric disturbance, rebecca smith, son daniel, spanish police, staffordshire