British, French nuke submarines collide underwaterFebruary 16th, 2009 - 12:54 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 16 (ANI): British and French nuclear submarines armed with ballistic missiles threatened to cause a disaster after colliding in the Atlantic, it emerged last night.
The Britsh Royal Navys HMS Vanguard and the French Navys Le Triomphant are both nuclear powered and were carrying nuke missiles when the collision took place on February 3-4.
The crash is believed to have occurred after state-of-the-art technology fitted in both vessels, which is designed to detect other submarines, apparently failed completely
The potential consequences are unthinkable. Its very unlikely there would have been a nuclear explosion. But a radioactive leak was a possibility. Worse, we could have lost the crew and warheads. That would have been a national disaster, The Sun quoted a Navy source, as saying.
The collision is believed to have taken place on February 3 or 4, in mid-Atlantic. Both subs were submerged and on separate missions.
As inquiries began, naval sources said it was a millions-to-one unlucky chance both subs were in the same patch of sea. Warships have sonar gear, which locates submarines by sound waves.
But modern anti-sonar technology is so good it is possible neither boat saw the other.
A senior military source said: The lines between London and Paris have been hot.
The MoD insisted last night there had been no nuclear security breach. But this is the biggest embarrassment to the Navy since Iran captured 15 sailors in 2007. The naval source said: Crashing a nuclear submarine is as serious as it gets.
Vanguard is one of Britains four V-Class subs forming our Trident nuclear deterrent. Each is armed with 16 ballistic missiles. (ANI)
- Brit defence chiefs under the scanner over submarine collision - Feb 17, 2009
- UK, French submarines may have suffered greater damage - Feb 20, 2009
- Indian Navy in fast forward mode (With Image) - May 16, 2012
- British, French nuclear submarines collide in Atlantic - Feb 16, 2009
- After delays, Scorpene submarine now on track: Navy chief - Dec 02, 2010
- Sea trials soon of India's indigenous n-submarine - Dec 02, 2011
- Putin attends n-submarine ceremony - Jul 31, 2012
- N-capable missiles in India's arsenal [To go with India test-fires 5,000 km Agni-V missile, China cautious (Roundup) - Apr 19, 2012
- French carrier in India for joint naval drill - Jan 06, 2011
- Russia to launch new ballistic missile submarine - Aug 17, 2012
- British Navy unveils new attack submarine - Sep 14, 2012
- Russia to test Bulava ballistic missile again - Jul 26, 2012
- Russia test-fires ballistic missile - Jul 28, 2011
- France transferring submarine technology to India - Jan 09, 2011
- Russia's n-powered submarine to enter service by June - Jan 21, 2012
Tags: ballistic missiles, britains, class subs, french nuclear submarines, hms vanguard, london feb, military source, national disaster, naval sources, nuclear deterrent, nuclear explosion, nuclear security, nuclear submarine, radioactive leak, security breach, sonar technology, sound waves, state of the art technology, unlucky chance, warheads