British Foreign Secretary, Rice express concern and regret over emergency in PakistanNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:23 am ICT by admin
“I am gravely concerned by the measures adopted today, which will take Pakistan further from these goals,” he said in a statement.
To declare a state of emergency is “very worrying” and could lead to an escalation of violence, Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt said.
“There is a risk that confrontations and conflicts in the country will now escalate. This is serious and very worrying. This is absolutely not the solution to Pakistan’s problems,” he added.
In Istanbul, Turkey, visiting U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice termed President Pervez Musharraf’s decision as “very regrettable”.
In comments broadcast on a US-based news channel, Rice, who is attending an international conference on Iraq, said: “We do not support extra-constitutional measures and we would hope that whatever happens they would be quick to return to the constitutional path.” (ANI)
- Few Pakistan high court judges denotified - Aug 08, 2011
- Musharraf says wife, family have security concerns about his return to Pakistan - May 22, 2010
- European Union told to beef up New Delhi embassy - Mar 08, 2010
- 'Chastened' Musharraf confesses removing CJP was wrong - Sep 18, 2009
- General Kayani major "obstacle" in almost done Indo-Pak deal on Kashmir - Apr 04, 2011
- Nov 3, 2007 turning point for Pakistan's judiciary: Chief Justice - Feb 07, 2011
- Yes, I was embarrassed: Musharraf on Osama in Pakistan - May 07, 2011
- 'Chaudhary's sacking a mistake, I don't think I committed blunders,' says Musharraf - Sep 19, 2009
- Pak Supreme Court directs sitting PCO judges 'not to issue any judicial orders' - Feb 18, 2011
- Musharraf should be put on trial for October 1999 coup: Kaira - Nov 04, 2010
- Miliband meets Sri Lankan counterpart, calls for cease-fire - Apr 29, 2009
- Europe Leaders Call for faster transition in Egypt - Feb 03, 2011
- Swedish foreign minister in India - Oct 18, 2011
- Sweden to open consulate-general in Mumbai next year - Oct 19, 2011
- Impressed by Aakash, Swedish minister to meet Datawind CEO - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: carl bildt, confrontations, countering terrorism, democracy and the rule of law, escalate, escalation of violence, foreign minister, gravely, international conference, istanbul turkey, measures, pakistan, president pervez musharraf, rule of law, secretary of state, state condoleezza rice, state of emergency