British explorer breaks hot air balloon recordSeptember 20th, 2009 - 4:58 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 20 (ANI): British explorer David Hempleman-Adams has broken the endurance record by spending more than 14 hours in a tiny hot air balloon over the United States.
Hempleman-Adams, 52, of Box, Wiltshire, set the record over the US riding in a scaled-down basket.
He flew 200 miles from Butler, Missouri, to Cherokee, Oklahoma, in 14 hours and 15 minutes using the class AA-01 balloon, reports The Telegraph.
The previous record was an eight hours and 12 minutes flight undertaken by American Coy Foster in March 1983.
Hempleman-Adams said his record-breaking flight in the CMC Markets Challenger balloon had ‘a bit of everything’ and was ‘absolutely fantastic’.
‘Beautiful scenery, some scary times, and a real test of skill,’ he said.
Hempleman-Adams credited his success to a strong, experienced team and his lucky mascot - Nigel Mitchell, the official observer for the flight.
‘I have had a brilliant team. My lucky mascot is Nigel. Whenever he accompanies me on my flights I win.’ It was one of those trips which was just amazingly lucky.
‘Everything came together, it was absolutely fantastic, beautiful weather, no thunderstorms, the team all turned up at the right times and all the equipment arrived in the right places,” he said. (ANI)
- Brad Pitt was a basketball reject - Apr 12, 2012
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- Storms in Chicago force 450 flight cancellations - Apr 21, 2011
- Hot air balloon disrupts flights in London - Apr 13, 2012
- Scientists recreate floating house from movie 'Up!' - Mar 08, 2011
- Google's Nexus S works fine at 60,000 feet: Report - Dec 26, 2010
- Thunderstorm grounds over 100 flights in China - Apr 28, 2012
- Six dead, millions left without power after US storm - Jul 01, 2012
- New world record set for longest ever football game - May 13, 2010
- Ultimate parachute jump: Diver to break sound barrier - Feb 05, 2012
- Austrian skydiver plans to break sound barrier in free fall (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Chicago school sets new 'high-five' world record - Sep 13, 2010
- Anand has same points as Carlsen, but trails in tie-break - Dec 16, 2010
- British couple wins $260 mn jackpot - Jul 16, 2011
- Fastest Concorde speedometer up for auction - Mar 20, 2011
Tags: 15 minutes, balloon record, beautiful scenery, brilliant team, butler missouri, challenger, cherokee oklahoma, class aa, cmc, david hempleman adams, eight hours, endurance record, experienced team, flights, hot air balloon, mascot, nigel mitchell, scary times, telegraph, weather