British cyclists target six Olympic medalsJuly 25th, 2008 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
Newport (Britain), July 25 (Xinhua) The British cycling team is targeting six Olympic medals at the forthcoming Beijing Games. Addressing a press conference in South Wales, David Brailsford, performance director of the team, said the cycling team is now at its best.
Steve Peters, sports psychiatrist with the team, also said the team is going to Beijing “to be on the top”.
The team comprises veterans from the 2004 Athens Games Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins, Steve Cummings, Chris Newton and Paul Manning.
The team also had a remarkable performance during the World Track Championships this year in Manchester, snatching gold in all the eight events.
This year, BMX category will be introduced to Olympics. Shanaze Reade, who won the 2008 World BMX Championships, will represent the country in the same category in Beijing and is the hot favourite to win the gold.
- Wiggins wins time trial to become Britain's top Olympian - Aug 02, 2012
- Cyclist Wiggins eyes Delhi Commonwealth Games - May 01, 2010
- Olympics: Hoy gives Britain another gold in Velodrome - Aug 08, 2012
- Hoy to carry British flag at Olympics - Jul 23, 2012
- Bolt will face stiff challenge from Blake: Holmes - May 04, 2012
- Tony Martin eyes time trial medal at Olympics - Jul 25, 2012
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- Federer expects Olympics to be something special - Jul 23, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympics: Indian boxer Jai Bhagwan starts campaign against Allisop - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: Back injury dashes Russian weightlifter's hopes - Aug 04, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Rowing world champion Drysdale eyes maiden Olympic gold - Jul 26, 2012
- CWG cycling: Australia sweep all three golds on offer on opening day - Oct 05, 2010
- Gymnast Teng pulls out of Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: athens games, beijing, british cyclists, chris newton, cycling team, david brailsford, gold, newport, olympic medals, olympics, performance director, psychiatrist, remarkable performance, south wales, Sports, steve cummings, wiggins, world track championships, xinhua