British couple jailed for sexually abusing patientsApril 12th, 2012 - 12:56 am ICT by IANS
London, April 11 (IANS) A British quack and his wife were jailed for eight years Wednesday for sexually abusing two women he falsely diagnosed with cancer.
Reginald Gill, 77, and his wife Leila, 35 would force patients to undergo naked examinations at the ‘medical centre’ they ran from their home in Carmarthenshire, Wales, the Daily Mail reported.
Gill, who was jailed for eight years, and his wife, jailed for six months, used to lure the women to their clinic and then falsely tell them they had cancer.
In one instance, Gill told a patient that her cancer could be cured by getting a man to suck her nipples for half an hour a day.
Judge Keith Thomas told Gill: “Women came to your house for medical treatment after they lost faith in the National Health Service (NHS). They came with an open mind and you took advantage of this. You told them they had cancer and they said they were prepared to go through any humiliation and shame to cure themselves.”
“You convinced the women to strip naked in front of you and, under the pretence that you were administering beneficial treatment, you subjected them to sexual assault.”
The judge said Gill took advantage of the “trust between a professed healer and his patient”.
- Can't compete with modern doctors: Traditional healers - Sep 27, 2011
- Briton jailed for tricking women to strip naked - Jul 21, 2012
- Indian leads spiritual healing project in Britain - Jul 31, 2011
- Awareness key to beating breast cancer, say experts (Feb 4 is World Cancer Day) - Feb 03, 2012
- Cancer patients hope for children - with fertility preservation (Feature) - Mar 20, 2012
- When civilistations clashed over search for syphilis cure - Jan 17, 2012
- Cure for AIDS a step closer - Jul 26, 2012
- Beware of quacks, says Delhi Medical Council - Jan 09, 2011
- Few women seek help for sexual issues following cancer treatment - Feb 15, 2011
- Man jailed in Britain for raping drunk women - Sep 24, 2011
- 70 percent of childhood cancers can be cured: Experts - Jun 21, 2012
- Changing lifestyle toughens India's cancer battle (Feb 4 is World Cancer Day) - Feb 03, 2012
- Medical Conmen Uses Stem Cell Cure Bait To Capture Preys - Apr 19, 2010
- Indian enterprise to set up $30 mn cancer centre in Ethiopia - Jul 24, 2011
- Laptop with over eight mn medical records missing - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: beneficial treatment, british couple, cancer, carmarthenshire, daily mail, half an hour, healer, humiliation, keith thomas, leila, medical centre, medical treatment, national health service, nipples, pretence, quack, sexual assault, shame, six months, two women