British company discovers uranium in ChileApril 4th, 2008 - 5:56 pm ICT by admin
Santiago, April 4 (IANS) A British company has found huge reserves of uranium deposits in southern Chile’s Bio Bio region, Spain’s EFE news agency EFE reported Friday. The Britain-based company U308 Holdings has found uranium deposits in the Cajones area of southern Concepcion city, the news agency quoted the El Mercurio newspaper as saying.
The deposits were discovered in one of the nine blocs where the company is conducting tests, the company officials said.
Officials said it would be too early to determine whether the uranium deposits would be economically viable for mining, the report said.
In addition to Cajones, chances are also good of finding uranium in Peralillo, an exploration bloc located near Los Angeles, another city in Bio Bio.
“We are excited with the initial results of the geochemicals in Cajones,” U308 Holdings Plc president Conrad Winham said.
The analysis of the exploration blocs would be completed in mid-April when the company would be able to say the size of the total deposits, he added.
The uranium discovery coincided with a push by the government to conduct studies on the possibility of building nuclear power plants as part of an effort to diversify the country’s energy sources.
Though President Michelle Bachelet has said a decision on nuclear plants would not be made during her administration, the initiative has started a nation-wide debate, with some supporting it while others opposing it.
The government’s plan provides incentives for investment in alternative energy sources, such as wind power, geothermal energy, biofuels and others, that would allow Chile to reduce its dependence on imported oil and natural gas.
- 6.8-magnitude quake rocks Chile - Feb 12, 2011
- Himachal to explore hot springs for power generation - Jan 13, 2012
- Indonesia to prioritize geothermal energy development - May 06, 2011
- Uranium ore mine commissioned in Andhra Pradesh (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Uranium ore mine in commissioned in Andhra Pradesh - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia and Iceland sign geothermal energy deal - Oct 24, 2011
- UN chief visits Chilean city hit by quake - Mar 07, 2010
- At least six dead after massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake in Chile - Feb 27, 2010
- Latin America - Energising India (Comment) - Jun 21, 2012
- Nepal to look for uranium near Tibet border - Aug 04, 2011
- Uranium reserves in Andhra may be 150,000 tonnes - Jul 18, 2011
- Iran claims production of nuke yellowcake - Dec 06, 2010
- On energy prowl, India to dig into Kazakh oil treasure - Apr 15, 2011
- Iran starts uranium enrichment at new n-plant - Jan 09, 2012
- At least 10 dead, many injured after massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake in Chile - Feb 27, 2010
Tags: alternative energy sources, biofuels, bloc, blocs, chile santiago, company officials, dependence, efe news agency, el mercurio, geothermal energy, holdings plc, initial results, michelle bachelet, nuclear plants, nuclear power plants, president michelle bachelet, southern chile, uranium deposits, wind power, winham