British chopper crashes at seaMay 10th, 2012 - 10:45 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 10 (IANS) A British helicopter Thursday crashed into the North Sea off Scotland but all 16 people on board are safe, an officer said.
Sky News quoted coast guard spokesperson Susan Todd as saying the EC225 Super Puma chopper was forced down around 40 km off Aberdeen, reported. The helicopter supports for North Sea oil and gas rigs.
The officer said an oil pressure warning light came on in the chopper and the pilot began a “controlled descent” around midday.
Two helicopters picked up most of the passengers and two crew members to safety from a liferaft.
However, some passengers were not willing to get back into a helicopter and were rescued by boat. They were taken to a hospital in Aberdeen.
Three search and rescue helicopters went to the scene, along with two lifeboats.
In April 2009, 16 people died after a Super Puma crashed off the coast of Aberdeen. In February the same year, another helicopter had ditched in the North Sea but all 18 people on board survived.
- 10 feared killed in British chopper crash in sea - Apr 01, 2009
- All 16 aboard British helicopter dead in North Sea crash - Apr 02, 2009
- 16 feared dead in North Sea 'copter crash - Apr 02, 2009
- Drama in North Sea, 18 rescued after helicopter crashes (Lead) - Feb 19, 2009
- British helicopter crashes in North Sea, all rescued - Feb 19, 2009
- 17 die in Arunachal chopper crash (Third Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- 17 killed in Arunachal chopper crash in (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Helicopter with 23 aboard crashes in Arunachal Pradesh (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Five die in US chopper crash - Dec 08, 2011
- Helicopter carrying 16 people crashes into the North Sea(updated) - Apr 01, 2009
- Arunachal MP puts Pawan Hans in dock, blames poor upkeep for crash - Apr 21, 2011
- Army team trekking to wreckage site in Arunachal: Chidambaram (Lead) - May 04, 2011
- Four dead in Russian oil rig accident (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- 17 killed in Arunachal chopper crash, six survive (Fourth Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Two-member team starts probe into chopper crash - Apr 20, 2011
Tags: aberdeen, chopper, coast guard, crashes, crew members, gas rigs, helicopter, lifeboats, liferaft, midday, north sea oil, oil and gas, oil pressure, puma, rescue helicopters, search and rescue, sky news, spokesperson, susan todd, warning light