British Airways flight crash lands at London City AirportFebruary 14th, 2009 - 12:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 14 (ANI): A British Airways plane carrying 71 people from Amsterdam to London made a hard landing at London City Airport, injuring several people on board.
A spokesperson from the London Fire Brigade said the accident happened around 8:00 p.m. local time on Friday after the nose-wheel of British Airways flight 8456 failed during landing.
The passengers and five-member crew on board the Avro RJ100 plane were all evacuated safely, The Telegraph reported.
There was obviously quite a loud bang as the plane scratched in, the stewards and stewardesses were quick to evacuate everyone off, there was a few scrapes and cuts due to hitting the asphalt, all in all everyone seems to be doing quite well now, said Justin Fletcher, one of the passengers on the plane.
Six ambulances were sent as a precaution as well as 10 fire engines and a number of police cars. Staff at the airport said the said the planes front wheel had come clean off its hinges.
A spokesman for British Airways said: The nose wheel of a British Airways aircraft suffered a failure on landing at London City Airport. As a precaution the emergency slides were deployed and the passengers were evacuated down the slides onto the runway.
Our priority at the moment is to ensure that all the passengers involved in the incident are well cared for by our ground staff, he said. (ANI)
- British Airways steward jailed for hoax bomb threat - Aug 18, 2012
- British Airways crash-landed at London City Airport - Feb 14, 2009
- Pilots 'almost pass out' after taking off - Jan 09, 2012
- Tantrum throwing Faye Dunaway denied upgrades on flights - Feb 21, 2011
- Plane crash lands at London City Airport - Feb 14, 2009
- Nose wheel of Jet Airways plane collapses on landing - Jul 23, 2010
- Plane makes emergency landing in London - Apr 16, 2012
- Plane evacuated in Chicago airport - Aug 05, 2010
- Alert women pilots save over 48 lives aboard Air India plane (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Alert pilots save 48 passengers aboard Air India plane (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Delta Airlines flight makes emergency landing on JFK airport - Sep 27, 2010
- JetBlue passenger plane blows tire upon landing at Sacramento Int'l Airport - Aug 27, 2010
- Jet Airways aircraft's nose wheel comes off at Bhopal - Jun 09, 2010
- Major plane accident averted in Chennai - Sep 24, 2011
- Depressurised plane makes emergency landing in Russia - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: airport london, ambulances, avro rj100, british airways, british airways flight, crash lands, fire engines, ground staff, justin fletcher, london city airport, london feb, london fire brigade, loud bang, member crew, nose wheel, police cars, precaution, scrapes, stewardesses, stewards