British Airways flight avoided mid-air disaster in SeptemberNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:38 am ICT by admin
Aviation insiders said the planes had allegedly been put on to the same flight path by French air traffic controllers.
The jumbo was carrying 292 passengers and 18 crew. The danger was so great that the BA 747’s automated collision avoidance system was triggered, prompting the pilot to take emergency action high over Marseilles.
The system triggers an audible alarm, with a loud and insistent instruction to “climb, climb, climb”.
The BA captain took immediate evasive action to climb steeply and bank right to avoid the other plane, an Aerolineas Argentinas 747, near the Mediterranean.
Once the emergency was over, the captain went into the cabin to calm passengers.
The incident happened on September 29, but has only now come to light.
On Tuesday, BA was reluctant to go into detail about the near-miss, short of confirming that it had happened. Insiders said it had been “hushed up”.
A long-haul aircraft such as a Boeing 747 would typically fly at around 37,000ft. Aircraft usually have to be five miles apart horizontally and with a 1,000ft difference in altitude to reduce the risk of a mid-air smash.
A reduction in either distance will trigger what aviation officials call a “loss of separation” - known to ordinary fliers as “a near miss”.
Aerolineas Argentinas confirmed it had a record of “an incident” involving an Airbus A340 travelling from Rome to Buenos Aires. (ANI)
- Boeing's 'world's longest' 747-8 jumbo makes 'perfect' maiden flight - Mar 21, 2011
- Near-miss at Birmingham Airport - Jan 17, 2011
- Boeing gets ready to unveil fourth-generation 747 version jetliner - Feb 13, 2011
- 380 Indians to return from Japan Saturday - Mar 19, 2011
- Mid-air collision averted over Tamil Nadu (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2010
- Now, Qantas 747 forced to return back to Sydney following electrical system problem - Nov 15, 2010
- Qantas' woes continue, jet returns to Sydney - Nov 15, 2010
- BA sets new world record for 'highest stand-up comedy gig in the world' - Mar 14, 2011
- Air India, Jet Airways deny reports of 'averted collision' - Jun 06, 2010
- Air India, Jet Airways planes in near miss over Tamil Nadu - Jun 06, 2010
- India sends 25 tonnes relief supply to Japan - Mar 18, 2011
- US Aviation officials deny claims that 3 passenger jets had a 'near collision' - Aug 03, 2012
- Pilot dies after mid air collision in UK - Jul 05, 2011
- Air India to get first 787 Dreamliners by year end - Feb 09, 2011
- Two planes involved in near collision over Mildura in 2009 - Nov 25, 2010
Tags: aerolineas argentinas, air disaster, airbus a340, audible alarm, aviation insiders, aviation officials, ba, boeing 747, british airways flight, collision avoidance system, emergency action, evasive action, french air, insistent, jet aviation, mail, mid air, passenger jet