British Airways crash-landed at London City AirportFebruary 14th, 2009 - 10:22 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
On Friday evening, a British Airways (BA) passenger jet carrying 71 people crash-landed at London City Airport, after part of its landing gear failed, said an official.
One person was taken to a hospital with a minor injury. The Flight number BA Flight 8456 was flying from Amsterdam to London and the airline said in a statement the four-engine plane’s nosewheel failed on landing. Emergency slides were deployed to evacuate the passengers. British Airways said the plane was carrying 67 passengers and four crew.
The London firefighters said the plane crashed onto the runway around 8 pm, and ambulance reported that four people were treated for minor injuries. Now, the airport’s only runway was closed after the incident.
London City Airport, in the eastern part of the British capital, is mainly used for domestic and European flights. It handles around 80,000 flights a year, with just over 3 million passengers.
The crash-landing in London occurred a day after a commuter plane incident,where it killed all 49 people aboard and one person in the home.
- British man attacks flight crew on UK-bound plane - May 12, 2011
- British Airways flight crash lands at London City Airport - Feb 14, 2009
- 10 injured as plane makes emergency landing in Lahore - Aug 31, 2012
- Major plane accident averted in Chennai - Sep 24, 2011
- Gulf Air passenger plane skids off runway in southwest India - Aug 29, 2011
- Flights diverted, repairs on at Goa runway (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Plane crash lands at London City Airport - Feb 14, 2009
- Plane with William, Kate in runway scare - Feb 12, 2012
- Three flights diverted from Goa due to runway repairs - Oct 27, 2010
- Afriqiyah Airways passenger plane crash-lands at Tripoli International Airport - May 12, 2010
- Around 100 dead, including 61 Dutch citizens, in Tripoli plane crash - May 13, 2010
- 36 cracks found in an aircraft's wings - Feb 08, 2012
- Air India flies out stranded British Airways passengers - May 26, 2012
- Plane skids off runway at Kochi airport, two injured - Aug 29, 2011
- Pilots 'almost pass out' after taking off - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: airline, ambulance, amsterdam, british airways, commuter plane, crash landing, engine plane, european flights, firefighters, flight number, friday evening, london city airport, minor injuries, one person, passenger jet, slides