Britains lap-dancing clubs set to be banned?June 19th, 2008 - 1:59 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 19 (ANI): Lap-dancing clubs in Britain may soon be facing tougher laws following the Governments bid to clean up the countrys high streets.
An increasingly large number of such clubs have sprung up in the UK following the relaxation of licensing laws in 2003 with many showing full strip shows.
They are not classified as sex encounter venues making it easier to open despite locals objections.
But residents may now get a say after Licensing Minister Gerry Sutcliffe on June 18 vowed to close the loophole to clean up town centres.
He has written to council chiefs to seek their views on how the laws can be toughened up.
Sutcliffe fears the clubs could spread unless action is taken.
Campaigners claim some lap-dancing bars show nude and semi-nude performances, often in private booths.
The move emerges as family campaigners attacked the decision to give planning permission to six lap-dancing clubs in Brighton.
Classifying lap-dancing clubs as sex encounter venues would put them on the same legal footing as strip clubs, peep shows and sex shops making them tightly regulated.
Lap-dance clubs are part of the sex industry. Areas surrounding them can become no-go areas for women. But licensing rules mean local authorities cannot treat a lap-dance club any differently from a coffee shop. We urge the Government to untie the hands of authorities by licensing lap-dance clubs as sex encounter establishments. This would enable communities to have a greater say, The Sun quoted Kat Banyard, of the Fawcett Society womens rights group, as saying. (ANI)
- Lap dancing, a routine part of British workplaces - Sep 18, 2009
- Tougher laws may strip Brit lap dancers of work - Oct 09, 2009
- Vicar slams UK council's ban on strippers, lap dancers and sex shops - Jan 30, 2011
- Lap-dancing clubs in UK face closure - Dec 19, 2008
- Strip clubs, bookmakers replacing pubs, police stations in new-look Britain! - Feb 23, 2010
- Call to classify UK lap-dancing joints as sex encounter establishments - Aug 16, 2008
- Tougher licensing rules for lap-dancing clubs in UK - Feb 12, 2010
- Brit govt bans sex ads from job centres - Aug 03, 2010
- Lap dancing ''is not sexual act'' claims club chairman - Nov 26, 2008
- UK Home Secy slams businessmen for entertaining clients at lap-dancing club - Nov 17, 2008
- Most Brit women become strippers to pay for their degrees - Sep 09, 2010
- Lady Gaga gives lap dance at strip club - Jun 23, 2010
- US strip-club-owner livid after plan for job providing club is opposed - Feb 07, 2011
- At 74, Italian PM can make love fives times a day - Jul 01, 2011
- Lap dancing bar bouncer batters Man City Balotelli's Maserati - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: banyard, campaigners, coffee shop, council chiefs, dance club, fawcett society, high streets, industry areas, lap dance clubs, lap dancing clubs, legal footing, licensing laws, local authorities, peep shows, planning permission, private booths, sex industry, strip clubs, sutcliffe, womens rights