Britain’’s cultural history to go on displayMarch 15th, 2009 - 3:47 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 15 (ANI): Performing arts students have a reason to rejoice for a London museum has decided to put on display for the first time of some of the most important moments in Britain’’s cultural history.
Visitors can catch a glimpse of culturally significant items including scripts, rock and pop costumes, film and video recordings, photographs and posters at the Victoria and Albert Museum on March 18.
Items crowning the exhibition in Theatre and Performance Galleries include Mick Jagger’’s rock and roll jumpsuit, Dame Edna Everage’’s 1876 Ascot hat, Horatio’’s skull along with a Shakespeare First Folio and an account book for the 1895 production of Oscar Wilde’’s The Importance of Being Earnest.
The collection will dominantly feature various performers costumes and accessories including heaps of make-up brushes, sponges and eyeliners that once decorated Kylie Minogue’’s dressing table during her Showgirl tour of 2007.
Dr Kate Dorney, the collection’’s curator, insisted the items narrated the story of performance beginning from script to stage and showed visitors just how much of a collaboration the performance process is”.
“If anyone is interested in getting involved in the performing arts, the galleries give them a real insight into how the world of performance is a process-driven world which relies on hard work, creativity and ingenuity by so many different people,” the Telegraph quoted her as saying. (ANI)
- India's Mughal era artistic legacy on display in US - Jul 26, 2012
- 'Temple' inside San Diego Museum - Dec 18, 2010
- With 400 scripts, Shimla's Gaiety Theatre recreates the past (With Image) - Jul 31, 2012
- Spotlight on M.F. Husain, price consciousness (Art Fair Review) - Jan 30, 2012
- NGMA gets a new parallel address on Google Art Project - Apr 10, 2012
- London's V&A; Museum showcases Tagore, Kalighat paintings - Oct 18, 2011
- Gen Custer flag fetches $2.2m at NY auction - Dec 11, 2010
- Canadian art gallery displaying Maharaja Ranjit Singh's throne - Nov 22, 2010
- New Sangeet Natak Akademi museum to open next month - Jul 18, 2011
- Victor Hugo collection auctioned off for $4.2 mn - Apr 05, 2012
- Art work worth $150 mn stolen from Beijing palace - May 11, 2011
- New York's famed Rubin Museum to exhibit photos of India-Nepal sadhus - Jan 09, 2011
- Eric Clapton, Tom Jones to perform at charity gala - Jul 16, 2010
- National Museum of Korea displaying Hindu god masks - Nov 23, 2010
- Why the Queen refused to give Mike Jagger a knighthood? - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: arts students, ascot, costumes film, cultural history, dame edna everage, dr kate, dressing table, driven world, importance of being earnest, london march, london museum, mick jagger, oscar wilde, rock and pop, shakespeare first folio, showgirl tour, sponges, victoria and albert, victoria and albert museum, video recordings