Britain to help Kyrgyzstan in army reform: officialAugust 27th, 2011 - 3:45 am ICT by IANS
Bishkek, Aug 27 (IANS) Britain has said it will help Kyrgyzstan in its efforts to reform its armed forces, the Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry said.
According to Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry’s press service, British Major General Graham Howard, heading a Defence Ministry delegation during its visit to capital city Bishkek, made the promise during his meeting with Kyrgyz Foreign Minister Ruslan Kazakbayev.
One of the tasks facing the British embassy in Kyrgyzstan is to assist the country’s Defence Ministry in its reform efforts, including strengthening and modernising the military and developing its technological potential, Xinhua reported Howard as saying.
Educational programmes for junior officers of the Kyrgyz Defence Ministry will be offered, Howard said.
The two sides also discussed the military and political situation in Afghanistan, threats and challenges to regional security, the mission of the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan, as well as the prospect of transferring security control to Afghan authorities.
- Kyrgyz activists demand closure of US airbase - Mar 16, 2012
- US to give $30 mn to upgrade Kyrgyz air control system - Aug 07, 2011
- Belarusian embassy in Kyrgyzstan attacked - Aug 29, 2012
- Antony on two-day visit to Kyrgyzstan - Jul 03, 2011
- Kyrgyzstan wants US out of Manas airbase in 2014 - Feb 21, 2012
- Britain eyes Afghanistan transit routes - Mar 02, 2012
- Pentagon chief in Kyrgyzstan for talks - Mar 13, 2012
- Russia, neighbours to hold air defence drills - Sep 14, 2012
- Indian students safe in Kyrgyzstan, can return to India (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- US airbase in Kyrgyzstan to have less troops - Jul 04, 2011
- New Kyrgyz president calls for closure of US airbase - Nov 01, 2011
- U.S. Embassy concerned over attacks on attorneys in S. Kyrgyzstan - Oct 18, 2010
- NATO pulls outs forces from Afghan ministry offices (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Terror in Kabul: Antony asks armed forces to be vigilant - Apr 16, 2012
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Lead) - May 01, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, armed forces, army, authorities, british embassy, challenges, defence ministry, delegation, foreign minister, foreign ministry, international security assistance, kyrgyzstan, political situation, reform efforts, regional security, security control, xinhua