Britain to close borders if eurozone collapsesJuly 5th, 2012 - 5:40 am ICT by IANS
London, July 4 (IANS) Britain will close its borders to people from countries like Greece if the eurozone — the group of 17 countries which use the euro as their common currency — collapses, British Prime Minister David Cameron has said.
Cameron has vowed to do “whatever it takes” to protect Britain from a flow of migrants, the Daily Express reported.
The prime minister was asked by MPs at a hearing of the House of Commons’ liaison committee about the danger that Britain could be seen as a safe haven for migrants if the single currency imploded.
“We obviously have contingency plans for all sorts of different eventualities. That is the right thing for a government when there is so much uncertainty,” Cameron said.
Membership of the European Union means countries - in most cases - are powerless to keep out citizens of other European countries but limits are allowed in “exceptional” circumstances.
“I think the legal position is that if there are extraordinary stresses and strains it is possible to take action to restrict migratory flows,” Cameron said.
Asked whether he would toughen border rules in relation to troubled states such as Greece, Cameron said: “I would be prepared to do whatever it takes to keep our country safe, to keep our banking system strong, to keep our economy robust.”
- Greece has upset calculations, let it not multiply: Manmohan - Nov 03, 2011
- Belgium calls for early signing of India-EU free trade pact - Aug 03, 2012
- Greece upset calculations, let it not spillover: Manmohan - Nov 04, 2011
- Eurozone poses fresh tension to global economy: Basu - Nov 05, 2011
- Europe should help Greece to avoid crisis: Greek PM - Oct 16, 2011
- Greek turmoil drives global stocks down - May 16, 2012
- Obama, Manmohan to work together to boost global economy (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Britain wants to be 'positive player' in Europe - May 21, 2010
- Eurozone approves new Greek bailout plan (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- G8 wants Greece to remain in Eurozone (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- 4.5 mn jobs at risk in eurozone in four years: UN - Jul 12, 2012
- EU urges Greek debt deal to be reached without delay - Jan 24, 2012
- Aid to India not linked to contracts: Britain - Feb 14, 2012
- `Sweden not bound to eurozone despite joining EU pact' - Feb 01, 2012
- British government to monitor calls, email - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: banking system, borders, british prime minister, contingency plans, daily express, david cameron, european countries, eurozone, exceptional circumstances, house of commons, legal position, liaison committee, migrants, minister david, mps, safe haven, single currency, strains, stresses, troubled states