Britain set for balmy temperaturesFebruary 20th, 2012 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 20 (IANS) Britain will bask in balmy temperatures this week once the latest cold snap has passed, the Met office here said.
On Wednesday and Thursday it could soon feel more like spring than winter, with temperatures hitting a very pleasant 17 degrees Celsius, weather officials said.
The mercury dropped to minus 7 degrees Celcius Sunday and snow fell in parts of the north, the midlands, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
One forecaster said: “It will be a frosty start Monday but will become milder by Wednesday, although with occasional rain.”
“Thursday will be drier, with brighter conditions across the south and east where it will be very mild. The north and west will be cloudy with occasional rain.”
“Brighter conditions will follow the rain early Friday, which will be generally windy. By Saturday, temperatures will return nearer to normal for the time of year,” the mirror.co.uk quoted the official as saying.
Britain and other European countries have been under the spell of snow, ice and freezing temperatures this winter, one of the harshest winters in decades. Dozens of people have died across the region due to the severe cold.
- It's official: It was the coldest December in Britain in 120 years - Jan 01, 2011
- Cold wave kills two in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 30, 2010
- Britain braces for cold again - Mar 03, 2012
- Chill freezes Himachal hills - Dec 06, 2011
- Breezy day in capital, rains expected Saturday (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Snow, rain wreak havoc in the hills; plains sunny (Intro Roundup) - Jan 15, 2011
- Snow, rain wreak havoc in the hills; plains sunny (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2011
- Spring has sprung in Britain - Mar 01, 2012
- Temperatures dip to lowest in Kashmir, Ladakh - Dec 17, 2011
- Freak diversion of jet stream propels freezing conditions - Dec 23, 2010
- Worst of winter over in Britain - Dec 29, 2010
- Leh freezes at minus 18 - season's lowest - Dec 23, 2011
- Extreme cold continues in Himachal - Jan 20, 2012
- A day of rain, snow in northern India - Jan 06, 2012
- Mercury rises but Kashmir still freezing - Dec 29, 2011