Britain rioters were from 44 nationsOctober 24th, 2011 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 24 (IANS) Robbers, vandals and thugs from 44 countries took part in the riots in August in Britain, a media report said Monday.
The sheer number from different corners of the globe is one of the strongest indicators yet that the riots had nothing to do with political protest but was born of greed, the Daily Mail reported.
Prison statistics revealed that 14 percent of those jailed for burglary, robbery, theft, criminal damage and disorder during the riots were born abroad.
Jamaicans represented the largest group of foreign inmates followed by Somali and Polish offenders. The list also included those from Colombia, Iraq, Congo, Vietnam, Afghanistan and Zimbabwe.
Countrywide, police made over 4,000 arrests, with 2,952 suspects held in London alone.
The justice ministry has released a breakdown of the nationalities of those jailed for riot-related offences committed between Aug 6, when the trouble exploded in Tottenham, and Aug 9, when disorder spread outside London to Manchester, Wolverhampton and Birmingham.
- London calms down, unrest spreads to other British cities (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- London riots: fourth victim dies - Aug 12, 2011
- British prison population reaches record high - Aug 12, 2011
- 450 held as riots spread across Britain (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Akshay appeals British youth to stop violence - Aug 11, 2011
- London riots: disorder spreads to Manchester, West Midlands - Aug 10, 2011
- London calm, violence grips other British cities (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- London riots escalate to other cities in Britain (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- London riots: Home secretary cuts short holiday, 100 held - Aug 08, 2011
- Millionaire's daughter to be jailed for London riots - Apr 05, 2012
- Carrying knife in Britain rarely invites jail - Sep 02, 2011
- British police release CCTV footage of rioters - Aug 11, 2011
- India-England third Test in jeopardy as riots spread to Birmingham - Aug 09, 2011
- Britain pulled up for doublespeak - Aug 11, 2011
- Police got tactics wrong, says Cameron as 1,300 held for riots (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
Tags: burglary, congo, daily mail, greed, inmates, justice ministry, largest group, nationalities, political protest, prison statistics, riot, rioters, riots, robbers, robbery, sheer number, tottenham, vandals, wolverhampton, zimbabwe