Britain returns stolen artefacts to AfghanistanJuly 19th, 2012 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 19 (IANS) Historical artefacts dating back to the Bronze Age (3500 to 1200 BC) that were stolen from Afghanistan and smuggled to Britain have been returned by the British armed forces, it was announced Thursday.
Some of the items were looted from Afghanistan’s museums during civil wars in the country over the past two decades while others came from illegal excavations of archaeological sites.
The precious cargo, weighing more than two tonnes and containing 843 individual objects, left Royal Air Force Station Brize Norton in Oxfordshire last week on board a transport plane, and was then transferred from the British military base Camp Bastion in Helmand province to Kabul, The Independent reported.
British Prime Minister David Cameron and President Hamid Karzai confirmed its safe arrival at a press conference in Kabul Thursday.
The consignment included objects found in three separate seizures by customs officials as they were being smuggled into Britain, while other items came to light following investigations by the Art and Antiques Unit of the Metropolitan Police. Additional objects were saved by private individuals.
Experts at the British Museum identified them as originating in Afghanistan and they were stored at the museum in London.
- Beckham flies to Afghanistan to boost British troops' morale - May 22, 2010
- Britons held for smuggling 'fake' artefacts out of Egypt - Feb 28, 2012
- 'If not a footballer, I would have fought for England: Beckham - May 23, 2010
- British soldier gives birth during Afghanistan deployment - Sep 20, 2012
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
- Prince William attends Remembrance Service in Afghanistan - Nov 14, 2010
- UK held secret war talks with U.S. general 11 months before Iraq invasion - Oct 03, 2010
- UK war effort in Helmand branded 'utter failure' by US, Afghanistan: Wikileaks - Dec 03, 2010
- Special forces winning battle against Taliban insurgents: US, UK commanders - Mar 16, 2011
- US seizes stolen statues from Indian art dealer - Jul 28, 2012
- Vikings considered Stone Age objects 'to have magical qualities' - Feb 03, 2011
- Stolen art treasures recovered in Italy - Jan 26, 2010
- New Indian initiative for art looted during British rule - Jun 01, 2010
- British, Estonian troops killed in southern Afghanistan - Oct 16, 2011
- Beckham visits British troops in Afghanistan - May 24, 2010
Tags: archaeological sites, british museum, british prime minister, brize norton, bronze age, camp bastion, civil wars, consignment, customs officials, david cameron, excavations, hamid karzai, kabul, metropolitan police, military base, minister david, precious cargo, president hamid karzai, private individuals, transport plane