Britain renews Sri Lankan ceasefire callApril 19th, 2009 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 19 (IANS) Britain has once again urged the government of Sri Lanka to declare an immediate ceasefire so that thousands of trapped civilians can leave an area of conflict between troops and Tamil Tiger rebels.
“We have been joined by many other governments, including France and the United States, in making similar calls,” British Foreign Secretary David Miliband said.
“Protests and demonstrations around the world have highlighted the tragic loss of life of innocent civilians in Sri Lanka. Further loss of life will only compound that tragedy,” Miliband said in a statement issued Saturday.
He said an estimated 300,000 Tamils in Britain “are a community we value and they make an important contribution to British society”.
“They have seen friends and relatives perish, and their loved ones are still at grave risk from the fighting. We have heard their voice and will keep listening. We are committed to do all we can to bring this terrible conflict to an end,” Miliband said.
More than 100,000 people held a protest rally in London last week against the civil war.
Tags: ceasefire, civil war, conflict, david miliband, demonstrations, government of sri lanka, governments, grave risk, innocent civilians, london, protest rally, protests, relatives, secretary david, sri lankan, tamil tiger rebels, tamils, tiger, tragedy, tragic loss