Britain needs 30 years to crush terrorism: Lord WestNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:08 am ICT by admin
“That doesn’t mean necessarily that we are going to stay at a severe level of threat for all those years.
“But to be able to say one has absolutely changed the mind-set and thought of people is going to take a generation,” he added.
In June, when he was appointed by incoming Premier Brown to co-ordinate security, Lord West had predicted that 15 years would be required to deal with the al-Qaeda menace.
Responding to a query on the battle against Osama bin Laden’s thugs, he said, “It will be in phases. After some years it will become much better - and then (the threat) will hopefully go.
“Perhaps, I am being optimistic in thinking that we can get rid of it entirely. But I think we can.
“I think 15 years is still a good time for reducing it dramatically… But look at the Cold War. That lasted from 1949 to 1989, which was 40 years,” he said.
Pointing out that several terror plots had already been foiled, Lord West said the British people were resilient in the face of dangers.
He went on to say that it was essential to stay alert, and “we should not allow the threat of attacks to change our way of life.” (ANI)
- UK jury finds peer guilty of swindling taxpayer of over 11K pounds - Jan 26, 2011
- War on terror not over: Tony Blair - Sep 11, 2011
- Taliban threat from AfPak real: Air chief - Apr 28, 2012
- Making progress in talks with Pakistan: Panetta - May 22, 2012
- GTA members sworn in; Shinde, Mamata assure support - Aug 04, 2012
- Dravid happy to complete unfinished job at Lord's - Jul 24, 2011
- We can beat any side in the world, says Laxman - Jul 16, 2011
- Cameron urges British Muslims to help fight extremism - Dec 31, 2010
- Mumbai terror: World leaders rally in solidarity (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2011
- Simon Cowell to enter politics? - Oct 26, 2009
- North Korea snubs Obama over satellite launch - Mar 27, 2012
- Gordon Brown may become 'charity worker' after leaving politics - Apr 17, 2010
- A Chinese family that has made liquor for 400 years - Sep 26, 2011
- 'London Taliban' sharia law to target women and homosexuals - Apr 18, 2011
- Sammy says team work key in absence of big names - May 04, 2012