Britain jails nine for bomb plot, terror camp in PoKFebruary 10th, 2012 - 1:27 am ICT by IANS
London, Feb 9 (IANS) A British court Thursday sentenced nine people, including one of Pakistani origin, for plotting to bomb the London Stock Exchange and build a terrorist training camp in Pakistan-controlled Kashmir.
Three of the men, who were all members of an Al Qaeda-inspired terror group, received indeterminate sentences for public protection at London’s Woolwich Crown Court, the BBC reported.
These men had planned to raise funds for a terrorist camp in Pakistan and recruit Britons to attend, the court heard.
In sentencing, the judge described all the men — who are British nationals of Bangladeshi and Pakistani origin — as Islamic fundamentalists.
The three to receive indeterminate sentences for the terror camp plan were Mohammed Shahjahan, 27, Usman Khan, 20, and Nazam Hussain, 26.
Justice Alan Wilkie in his judgement said the three were “the more serious jihadists” and said they should not be released until they were no longer a threat to the public.
The court heard they planned to establish the terrorist camp on land in Pakistan-controlled Kashmir owned by Usman Khan’s family and encourage a “significant” number of British Muslims to undergo training there.
Shahjahan, of Stoke-on-Trent, was jailed for a minimum term of eight years and 10 months while Khan and Hussain 26, also from Stoke-on-Trent, were ordered to serve at least eight years.
Khan and Hussain planned to travel to the camp and receive military instruction themselves before “obtaining first-hand terrorist experience in Kashmir”, the court heard.
- UK convicts Muslim minister of rape, sexual acts - Feb 02, 2011
- British police arrest twelve terror suspects - Dec 20, 2010
- UK Christmas terror attack plotters received training in Pakistan - Dec 23, 2010
- Marathon runner claimed $72,000 as 'disability' benefits! - Oct 18, 2011
- Kashmiri gets 10 years in jail for carrying RDX, pistols - Dec 21, 2010
- British woman convicted for 229th time - Jun 28, 2011
- 103-year-old UK woman puts her longevity down to her single status - Feb 22, 2011
- 12 arrested in major UK anti-terror swoop - Dec 20, 2010
- Four Britons charged with terrorism offences - Nov 19, 2011
- Indian origin man charged with Britain terror plot - Dec 27, 2010
- Indian-origin duo killed over parking dispute - Dec 13, 2011
- Brit Imam 'serially raped young boy when he attended mosque for religious lessons' - Jan 13, 2011
- 31 Al Qaeda men jailed by Lebanese court - May 13, 2010
- Mass-murder terror plotter in Canada gets 16-year jail - Oct 26, 2010
- Three guilty of airline bomb plot bigger than 9/11 - Sep 08, 2009
Tags: bomb plot, british muslims, british nationals, britons, crown court, islamic fundamentalists, jails, jihadists, kashmir, london feb, london stock exchange, military instruction, nazam, pakistani origin, pok, shahjahan, terror group, usman khan, wilkie, woolwich