Britain expels all Iranian diplomatsDecember 1st, 2011 - 5:39 am ICT by IANS
London, Dec 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Britain has expelled all Iranian diplomats from its territory after the British embassy in Tehran was stormed by a crowd, said the British Foreign Secretary William Hague.
Hague told the country’s parliament Wednesday that the Foreign Office demanded “the immediate closure of Iranian embassy in London”.
“Staff must leave within the next 48 hours,” he added. “If any country makes it impossible for us to operate on their soil they cannot expect to have a functioning embassy here.”
Britain evacuated all its diplomats from Iran Wednesday.
“It is not possible to maintain an embassy under these circumstance and these threats and actions,” Hague told members of the parliament.
Iranian protesters stormed the British Embassy in Tehran Tuesday after rallying against sanctions the Britain imposed on Iran earlier this month.
The crowd, mostly students, attacked the embassy compound, tore down the British flag and replaced it with Iran’s.
They also ransacked offices in the compound, throwing stones and cocktails at embassy buildings, which caused a fire in one of them.
The attack was part of a larger demonstration that followed a decision by the Iranian authorities to expel the British ambassador from the country within 15 days.
Iran’s foreign ministry Tuesday expressed regret over the protests.
- Iran releases students held in British embassy attack - Dec 01, 2011
- British envoy blames Iran for embassy storming - Dec 03, 2011
- Iranian cleric warns against UN, EU support to Britain - Dec 03, 2011
- Ahmadinejad wishes to visit London for Olympics - May 18, 2012
- Canada's suspension of ties 'hostile' measure: Iran - Sep 09, 2012
- Britain to call for stronger Iran sanctions - Dec 01, 2011
- Iran regrets protests at British embassy - Nov 30, 2011
- All British embassy staff leave Iran: Report - Nov 30, 2011
- EU condemns attacks on Israeli diplomats - Feb 14, 2012
- Russia rules out Iran sanctions - Feb 16, 2012
- Iran-Russia ties key to 'regional, global peace' - Sep 02, 2012
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- Six British embassy staff taken hostage in Iran - Nov 29, 2011
- Canada cuts ties with Iran - Sep 08, 2012
- Iran starts enriching uranium to 20 percent - Jan 10, 2012
Tags: british ambassador, british embassy in tehran, british flag, circumstance, cocktails, embassy buildings, embassy compound, embassy in london, foreign ministry, foreign office, iranian authorities, iranian diplomats, iranian embassy in london, iranian protesters, london staff, members of the parliament, ria novosti, secretary william, throwing stones, william hague