Britain draws up battle plan against IranFebruary 26th, 2012 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 26 (IANS) Britain is reportedly drawing up a battle plan for a war with Iran as top defence officials believe London will be “sucked into” any new conflict with Tehran.
Plans are being made to send hundreds of troops and an nuclear submarine to the Gulf region, The Sun reported.
Defence officials believe it is just a matter of when the war breaks out — with the timescale set between 18 and 24 months.
“Ministry of defence planners went into overdrive at the start of the year. Conflict is seen as inevitable as long as the regime pursue their nuclear ambitions. Britain would be sucked in whether we like it or not, probably via Iranian attacks on our forces in Afghanistan next door to them,” an unnamed official said.
The report said Britain will first fly an infantry battalion to the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the country’s strong ally in the Gulf region.
It would also mean a “public show of support” that would demonstrate that Britain was ready to defend the UAE if it comes under attack from Iran.
The UAE is separated from Iran by just over 50 km of sea across the Strait of Hormuz.
If other allies like Oman, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Qatar ask for help, Britain could fly in further troops.
The Royal Navy has already gathered seven warships in the Gulf.
The HMS Daring, a powerful destroyer, arrived in January to join Type 23 frigate HMS Argyll.
Minesweepers Pembroke, Quora, Middleton and Ramsey are based in Bahrain and a nuclear submarine is reportedly also in the area, the report said.
Under the war plan, a second submarine armed with Tomahawk cruise missiles would be deployed.
The Royal Air Force would send Typhoon and Tornado fighter jets to reinforce helicopter and transport plane crews already stationed in Qatar, Oman, Bahrain and the UAE.
- GCC troops arrive in Bahrain to maintain order (Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Regional security, development to feature in GCC summit - Dec 04, 2010
- British defence secretary admits Gaddafi is a 'legitimate target' - Mar 21, 2011
- British Navy unveils new attack submarine - Sep 14, 2012
- GCC troops in Bahrain, Iran asks Bahrain to stop violence (Second Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Bahrain declares emergency - Mar 15, 2011
- UK forms plans for Brit residents' evacuation from Gulf cities in event of war with Iran - Dec 29, 2010
- US, Saudi Arabia sign warplanes deal worth $29 bn - Dec 30, 2011
- Dubai hosts international conference of air chiefs - Nov 13, 2011
- Iran monitors US warships movement in Persian Gulf: Navy chief - Sep 05, 2012
- Iran includes three indigenous submarines in navy - Nov 29, 2011
- Gulf security to be focus of GCC summit - Dec 05, 2010
- Officer dies in British n-submbarine shooting - Apr 09, 2011
- US deploys underwater drones to hunt for Iranian mines - Jul 12, 2012
- 21 Arab films at Baghdad fest - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: defence officials, fighter jets, infantry battalion, london feb, minesweepers, ministry of defence, nuclear ambitions, nuclear submarine, royal navy, saudi arabia, strait of hormuz, timescale, tomahawk cruise missiles, tornado fighter, transport plane, type 23 frigate, united arab emirates, unnamed official, war plan, warships