Brit woman jailed after Facebook wedding pics expose her as benefit cheatFebruary 22nd, 2011 - 3:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 22 (ANI): A woman in Britain, who claimed to be a single mom, has been jailed after wedding pictures she posted on Facebook exposed her as a benefit-cheat.
Hazel Cunningham, 47, posted pictures of her Barbados wedding on her Facebook page, and investigators from the local council viewed them.
They discovered that Cunningham, who said she was a single mother when she was in fact living with her husband, was fleecing the taxpayer of thousands of pounds in false benefits claims.
She wrongly claimed income support, housing benefit and council tax benefit at the same time as enjoying holidays in Turkey up to three times a year and a luxury Caribbean wedding.
Folkestone Magistrates’ Court in Kent heard she falsely claimed benefits amounting to an average of 170 pounds a week.
Cunningham, of Ashford, Kent, also failed to notify the authorities of her maternity pay from her employer.
She was sentenced to 120 days in prison after pleading guilty to four charges of making false statements and one of failing to notify a change in circumstance.
And she was ordered to repay the money, a total of just under 15,000 pounds.
She was also prosecuted in 2009 for failing to declare that she was working while claiming a total of 21,000 pounds in incapacity benefit, housing and council tax benefits.
“This case is another success for the council who work tirelessly to ensure that the honest taxpayers of the Ashford borough are not defrauded,” the Daily Mail quoted Peter Wood, the leader of Ashford Borough Council, which brought the prosecution, as saying.
“The message is clear: people who commit benefit fraud will be caught,” he stated. (ANI)
- Hazel Cunningham caught cheating because of Facebook - Feb 22, 2011
- Brit woman exposed as benefit cheat while working as stripper - Aug 11, 2010
- Obese claimants claim 10 mn pounds in Britain - Jul 10, 2010
- Phil Tufnell's ex-wife 'flees' following benefit fraud scam - Apr 23, 2010
- Jobless Brit man fathers tenth child with tenth woman - Sep 20, 2010
- UK council workers visit Facebook more than their own website! - Dec 24, 2010
- 370,000 migrants in Britain claim out-of-work benefits - Jan 20, 2012
- British woman fined 5,500 pounds for noisy pets - Aug 27, 2012
- British rapist jailed after 26 years - Jan 29, 2012
- Lavine Samma vows to have children till she gets a council house - Nov 22, 2010
- On official trip to Pakistan, UK minister joins family wedding - Apr 16, 2011
- Ex-Iron Maiden singer Paul Di'Anno faces jail over benefit fraud - Feb 12, 2011
- Marathon runner claimed $72,000 as 'disability' benefits! - Oct 18, 2011
- Baroness Warsi used taxpayer-funded Pak trip to attend lavish family wedding - Apr 16, 2011
- Aussie man sues UK bosses claiming 'G'day sport' tag was racist - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: ashford kent, barbados wedding, benefit fraud, caribbean wedding, circumstance, council tax benefit, daily mail, false statements, hazel, holidays in turkey, honest taxpayers, housing benefit, incapacity benefit, local council, london feb, magistrates court, maternity pay, prosecution, single mom, single mother