Brit woman exposed as benefit cheat while working as stripperAugust 11th, 2010 - 2:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 11 (ANI): A woman in Britain has been exposed as a benefit cheat after she claimed incapacity hand-outs while working as a stripper.
Carrie-Ann Knight, 29, is said to have claimed more than 10,000 pounds in benefits while working as an exotic dancer at Tiffany’s Bar in Exeter’s Quayside in June 2007.
She is said to have continued to claim benefits for a year while off sick with depression, and was only found out when an eagle-eyed benefits assessor recognised her name.
He realised she had the same name as a locally well-known topless model and lap dancer and referred the case to the council’s investigations team and, in turn, the Department of Work and Pensions in 2008.
Knight admitted falsely claiming benefits at South Somerset Magistrates’ Court in Yeovil on August 9 and was fined a total of 535 pounds.
Simon Lacey, defending Knight, said his client mistakenly believed she could work up to 16 hours a week and still claim benefits.
He said she had tried to inform the authorities of her error by filling in forms saying she was “self-employed”, but that this was not picked up upon.
“We consider this matter to be very serious as it represents taking money from taxpayers,” the Sun quoted magistrates as telling Knight.
“But we have noted that you did not start out with any intention to defraud. You have also paid back a substantial proportion of the payments, which we consider shows remorse,” they added.
Speaking after the sentencing Knight said she no longer worked at the lap-dancing bar, which closed down last year.
“I am relieved this is over because it has been going on for such a long time. I have moved away from the area and am moving on with my life,” she added. (ANI)
- Most Brit women become strippers to pay for their degrees - Sep 09, 2010
- Eight in 10 Britons faking incapacity to work for dole - Jan 26, 2012
- Obese claimants claim 10 mn pounds in Britain - Jul 10, 2010
- Brit woman jailed after Facebook wedding pics expose her as benefit cheat - Feb 22, 2011
- Britain branded 'sick man' of the world as most youngsters live on benefits - Nov 25, 2010
- Britain plans to stop incapacity benefits - Jul 12, 2010
- Boozed-up girl, 14, gyrates naked at Brit lap dance club - Mar 16, 2010
- Case postponed as accused too fat to get into court - May 23, 2011
- Brit govt bans sex ads from job centres - Aug 03, 2010
- Rihanna hauled up for touching lap-dancers - Oct 15, 2011
- Lap dancing bar bouncer batters Man City Balotelli's Maserati - Apr 06, 2011
- Berlusconi 'invited lap dancers to hotel' during official visit to Brazil - Jul 03, 2010
- Yesteryear Pop Diva Tiffany Outs Jonathan Knight As Gay, Fans Amazed - Jan 22, 2011
- In Britain, polygamy could be rewarding for immigrants - Jul 31, 2012
- Sex industry booming amid recession - Feb 05, 2010
Tags: ann knight, carrie ann, claiming benefits, dancing bar, department of work and pensions, exeter, exotic dancer, incapacity, investigations team, lacey, lap dancer, lap dancing, magistrates court, quayside, remorse, south somerset, substantial proportion, topless model, work and pensions, yeovil