Brit University offers degree course on Facebook, Twitter!March 30th, 2009 - 8:15 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 30 (ANI): As the fever of Facebook continues to grip people, a British University is starting a degree course that will teach students about social networking sites.
Birmingham City University is offering one-year MA degree in Social Media will also explain how to set up blogs and publish podcasts.
The 4,400-pound course, which will start next year, is being advertised through a makeshift video on the university’s website.
Course convener Jon Hickman said he had received a good response from potential students.
“It’s not for freaks or IT geeks, the tools learnt on this course will be accessible to many people,” the Telegraph quoted Hickman as saying.
“During the course we will consider what people can do on Facebook and Twitter, and how they can be used for communication and marketing purposes.
“There has been significant interest in the course already, and it will definitely appeal to students looking to go into professions including journalism and PR,” he added.
Hickman also described what the course entails.
“In my opinion, the course does entail synoptic research and scholarly activity, which are the fundamental criteria for Masters degrees,” he said.
“It’s very relevant and very scholarly. It’s a new course, but its importance is unquestionable.
“Social media is very important for jobs within the marketing and communications sector, as a skill set within other jobs, and as an industry within itself,” he added. (ANI)
- Online study killing university life Down Under - Feb 27, 2011
- Now, cabbies, maids can learn while they earn - Mar 05, 2012
- IGNOU to offer electronics, IT courses - Sep 22, 2011
- Facebook strengthening our social ties: Study - Nov 28, 2010
- Facebook sees India among key growth areas - Feb 03, 2012
- Facebook admits Google smear campaign - May 13, 2011
- Researchers measure addiction to Facebook - May 08, 2012
- Social media powering modern protests, note experts - Apr 17, 2012
- Facebook CEO Zooms Past Steve Jobs - Sep 24, 2010
- Eight IIM-B graduates awarded gold medals - Mar 30, 2012
- Indian diplomacy wants to reinvent itself, virtually - Dec 12, 2010
- IGNOU online course on sustainable science - Jun 19, 2012
- Anna's campaign finds high-tech back-up - Aug 16, 2011
- 90 percent jilted lovers spy on ex on Facebook - Aug 02, 2012
- UK Immigration Minister vows to provide more jobs to British graduates - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: birmingham city, brit, course convener, degree course, facebook, fever, freaks, fundamental criteria, geeks, jobs, journalism, london, marketing, masters degrees, professions, scholarly activity, social networking sites, telegraph, twitter