Brit students stage mass walkout after teacher bans girls from linking armsFebruary 1st, 2011 - 6:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 1 (ANI): Students in a British school staged a mass walkout after a teacher, who spotted two teen aged girls walking arm in arm, spoke to the class about it being an inappropriate behaviour.
Pupils raced from classroom to classroom whipping up anger against the ticking off or spread the word on Facebook and soon up to 150 children had marched out of lessons and onto the school playing field.
Teachers at St Benedict’s Catholic College in Colchester, Essex, had to cancel the last two lessons of the day, according to insiders, as they struggled to contain the incident.
When it finally petered out, several pupils had been suspended, some prefects had been stripped of their titles, and scores of detentions had been handed out.
But as discontent rumbled on, head teacher John O’Hara (CORR) insisted pupils had wrongly thought the school had introduced a “no contact” rule and reacted to what they “perceived to be a telling off, which did not take place”.
Pupils refused to believe the claim however, saying word had spread like wildfire that they should not link arms or hold hands.
O’Hara said the protest was sparked after a member of staff told a group of children there were “appropriate rules and relations we have because it is a school” and some “twisted” the message.
“They have got upset at what they perceived to be a telling off, which did not take place. That message has snowballed through Facebook and got out of control,” the Daily Mail quoted him as saying.
“Yes, we did have a number of children who went out of the school and were not keen to come back into the building. They have got the wrong end of the stick - they went out before anybody could speak to them.
“There is no credibility to the reason why they were out of lessons,” he added. (ANI)
- Teaching ban on 'lesbian' Brit teacher who sent ex-colleague sexual notes, roses - Jan 30, 2011
- British teachers can now frisk students - Nov 21, 2010
- Brit student expelled over 'dangly bits in teacher's mug' prank - Feb 20, 2011
- Facebook to host live science lesson - Jul 24, 2012
- Britain prepares to discipline schoolchildren - Sep 02, 2011
- Brit teacher shouts 'die, die, die' at pupil during dumbbell attack - Apr 27, 2010
- Danielle Lloyd's son Harry released from the hospital - Aug 16, 2011
- Lloyd plans wild hen party - Jan 22, 2012
- Computer games could be turning your kid violent - Jul 26, 2012
- Brit pupils make more efforts for male teachers: Study - Oct 30, 2010
- A British school where kids learn head massage - Oct 03, 2011
- British schools send off 900 violent pupils each day - Jul 30, 2011
- 'Incompetent' Brit teacher is first to be banned from the profession for life - Oct 23, 2010
- Danielle Lloyd expecting Jamie O'Hara's baby - Mar 04, 2010
- Bullying girls' 'behave worse in classroom than boys' - Apr 18, 2011
Tags: anger, arm in arm, catholic college, colchester essex, credibility, daily mail, discontent, facebook, head teacher, inappropriate behaviour, insiders, john o hara, london feb, prefects, protest, pupils, st benedict, teacher john, walkout, wildfire