Brit soldier hit in face by Taliban bullet spits it out againJuly 13th, 2010 - 6:21 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jul 13 (ANI): British Army sniper Luke Reeson, who was serving on the frontline in war ravaged Afghanistan, was shot in the face by the Taliban, but the hero lance corporal spat the bullet out and then walked two miles with a shattered jaw to get medical treatment.
And now he is back on the frontline in Afghanistan less than three months after escaping death with his mates from 1 Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment.
Luke’s proud mum Kim Reeson has described the 22-year-old as Desperate Dan after the cartoon character with the iron jaw.
Luke was on patrol in Nad-e-Ali in Helmand when an insurgent’s bullet hit his body armour and ricocheted into his face.
It tore into his cheek, broke his jaw and came out through his mouth. After 24 hours with military medics at Camp Bastion, he was flown to Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham, The Sun reports.
Mother Kim said: “The Army was impressed with Luke’s recovery and he just wanted to get back with the lads. He knows he’s very lucky but he’s trying to play down his injury.”
She said: “He looked like Desperate Dan with his jaw all swollen but we’re very proud of him. There are soldiers all over the country recovering from injuries who never get noticed.” (ANI)
- The "miracle" Royal Marine who survived a Taliban bullet through his brain - Oct 16, 2010
- Angry UK troops use new tank against Afghan Taliban for first time - Feb 16, 2010
- Special forces winning battle against Taliban insurgents: US, UK commanders - Mar 16, 2011
- Five British soldiers shot dead in Afghanistan - Nov 04, 2009
- British Army sniper shot dead five Taliban militants in 28 seconds - May 06, 2010
- Six bullet wounds among 20 injuries on Kishenji's body: Autopsy - Nov 27, 2011
- Brit Army to get supergun to counter Taliban snipers - Mar 18, 2011
- More British troops ordered into Helmand badlands to rout Taliban - Jul 08, 2010
- Helmet-cam Afghan war videos to be shown on BBC - Aug 20, 2012
- Massive manhunt launched to catch 'killer' Afghan police officer - Nov 06, 2009
- Kim Jong-un signs order of battle - Aug 27, 2012
- William, Harry secretly visit hospitals to meet injured war heroes - Sep 28, 2009
- British sniper kills two Taliban with one bullet, reveals new book - Mar 15, 2011
- Afghan police corruption is fuelling insurgency - Jun 04, 2010
- D.C. Sniper Lee Boyd Malvo apologizes to a shooting victim - Mar 05, 2010
Tags: army sniper, body armour, british army, camp bastion, cartoon character, cheek, desperate dan, duke of lancaster, frontline, helmand, iron jaw, lads, lance corporal, less than three months, mates, medical treatment, military medics, reeson, selly oak hospital, taliban