Brit pensioner fights off 6 sledgehammer-wielding thugs with handbagFebruary 8th, 2011 - 5:57 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 8 (ANI): Six sledgehammer-wielding robbers, who were smashing their way into a jewellery store, got the shock of their lives when a Brit pensioner clobbered them with her handbag.
The unidentified brave woman in her 70s ran across the street when she saw them attempt a smash and grab raid on Michael Jones Jewellers in Northampton on Monday morning, reports the Daily Mail.
The attack captured on video by a passer-by clearly shows the woman bashing the stunned raiders with her large black handbag as they tried to escape on mopeds.
In the mobile phone footage, the fearless woman is seen attacking the robbers who towered over her, knocking them around the head and shoulders with her bag as they grabbed handfuls of watches and designer jewellery from the store’s cabinet displays.
Startled, they dropped their haul on the ground and attempted to bid a hasty retreat as terrified staff inside the jewellers seized the opportunity to lower the store’s security shutters.
But the brave woman continued her onslaught as the hapless gang attempted to get away on mopeds.
She clobbered one of the thieves on the back of the moped leading to the driver to crash to the ground.
Other shoppers witnessing the attack detained one of the robbers after wrestling him to the ground.
The rest of the mob managed to escape, but three were arrested shortly afterwards.
The four arrested men are aged 18, 22, 25 and 39. Police are now seeking a further two other people who are believed to have been involved and have appealed for witnesses.
“She was absolutely amazing. We were terrified but we looked out of the window to see her running down the road with her handbag in the air. She did not seem scared or ruffled at all,” said Sarah-Jane Brown, who works at a salon next to the jewellery shop. (ANI)
- UK's supergran to auction off handbag she battered robbers with on eBay - Feb 17, 2011
- Six killed in Iraq robbery - Mar 12, 2012
- Jeweller's house looted at gunpoint - Nov 30, 2011
- Hero pensioner Ann Timson to sell handbag on eBay - Feb 17, 2011
- Armed robbers loot Rs.15 lakh in Noida, nabbed, money recovered (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Jewellery store owner doesn't want charges against Lohan - Feb 12, 2011
- Woman leaps from burning building in the London riots - Aug 09, 2011
- F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone beaten and robbed of jewellery outside London penthouse - Nov 26, 2010
- Two robbers kill woman and daughter, one held - Oct 13, 2011
- Talking birds scare off would-be robbers - Feb 11, 2011
- Two jewellers killed in Mumbai - Apr 12, 2012
- Postman chases robbers, kills one - Mar 22, 2012
- When fashion went boho and vintage (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 16, 2011
- Indian jewellery store looted in Britain - Jun 09, 2010
- Two elderly women stabbed to death in Delhi (lead) - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: brave woman, daily mail, designer jewellery, fearless woman, handbag, handfuls, hasty retreat, head and shoulders, jane brown, jewellers, jewellery shop, jewellery store, london feb, mopeds, onslaught, pensioner, robbers, running down the road, sarah jane, security shutters