Brit Muslim hate cleric leads appeal for jihad cashMarch 15th, 2009 - 12:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar.15 (ANI): AN Islamic cleric has urged his followers to give cash to front-line mujaheddin fighters as a counter to British troops returning from Iraq. Anjem Choudary, a self-styled sharia judge and former leader of the banned group Al-Muhajiroun, has been quoted by The Times as telling his followers to stop spending their money on their families and divert it to Muslim soldiers waging a jihad. Choudary has previously called for British women to be forced to wear burqas and for adulterers to be killed.
The emergence of the tape coincided with the death yesterday of a British soldier in Afghanistan, the 150th to die there since 2001. The soldier of the 2nd battalion, Royal Welsh regiment, was on foot patrol.
Last week Choudarys followers shouted abuse at soldiers from the Royal Anglian Regiment as they paraded through Luton, calling them butchers and killers.
Choudary later called the troops cowards who cannot fight.
Patrick Mercer, chairman of the Commons subcommittee on counter-terrorism, said: It is crucial that Choudary is investigated by the police and if the evidence stacks up he must be charged.
Geoffrey Bindman, a leading lawyer, said: Theres an element of ambiguity in the term mujaheddin but in the context its possible he would be held to be seeking to raise money for terrorist purposes.
Choudary supporters taped a meeting last year at which he was preaching to disciples. A copy of the recording has been passed to The Sunday Times.
When confronted, Choudary said: I dont think Ive ever said to people raise money and send it to Al-Qaeda and the Taliban, which is what you are suggesting.
Imam Abdul Jalil Sajid, a leading Muslim cleric, said: When people like Choudary say mujaheddin, they mean armed struggle against Britain and America. (ANI)
- British Muslims arrested in France burqa ban protest - Apr 11, 2011
- UK Islamic hate preacher Choudary to be given Channel 4 slot - Nov 28, 2010
- 7/7-attack anniversary: Muslim hate cleric warns UK of more terror attacks - Jul 06, 2010
- Politicians, kin express outrage over abuse of returning UK soldiers - Mar 12, 2009
- Hate cleric warns of attack after life sentence - Nov 13, 2010
- Hate preacher Anjem Choudary warns UK of another 7/7 type attack after Laden's death - May 03, 2011
- Brit Muslim cleric warns royal wedding 'prime target' of al-Qaeda, aspiring 'jihadis' - Apr 26, 2011
- Al-Muhajiroun terror group recruiting near Stockholm bomber's home town - Dec 19, 2010
- 187,000 Facebookers oppose Islamist march through British town - Jan 04, 2010
- UK Tory leaders react angrily to exiled hate preachers Islamic rant - Mar 21, 2009
- Cheryl Cole in danger after Afghanistan visit? - Sep 18, 2011
- Radical preacher Anjem Choudary used rented railway viaduct arch as headquarter - Dec 26, 2010
- Brit hate preacher Anjem Choudary's terror network exposed - Jan 15, 2010
- UK bans controversial Islamist group - Jan 12, 2010
- Muslim radicals spit at British troops - Jun 16, 2010
Tags: adulterers, al muhajiroun, ambiguity, british soldier, british troops, british women, butchers, counter terrorism, cowards, disciples, followers, foot patrol, islamic cleric, jihad, muslim cleric, muslim soldiers, royal anglian regiment, sharia, stacks, sunday times