Brit mum saves baby by refusing to end pregnancy on doctors’ adviceApril 11th, 2011 - 2:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 11 (ANI): A mother in Britain, who was told by doctors to terminate her pregnancy as her baby had died in her womb, ended up saving her daughter’s life after she refused to follow their advice.
Sofia Taylor, 22, who has three other girls - Saffron, six, Mia, three and Sienna, two with her husband Chris, was told to take pills to terminate the pregnancy after medics said a scan showed no heartbeat.
But following on a mother’s intuition, she refused and insisted on waiting eight days for another scan, which in turn showed her daughter Bella-Mae was alive. Sofia had her scan at Brighton’s Royal Sussex County Hospital.
“They said, ‘You have had a miscarriage and your baby has died’. There was no compassion,” the Sun quoted Sofia as saying.
“They told me to get rid of the baby - but after three children, I knew what being pregnant felt like.
“I even remember Chris saying, ‘Just take the tablets’ because he trusted the doctors. I even started to hate him a bit.
“She is our little miracle. I can’t put her down, she’s so precious. I look at her thinking, ‘If I’d taken the tablets, she wouldn’t be here’. They’d have killed her in four hours,” she said.
Bella-Mae faced another battle for life after being born prematurely. She was in an incubator in intensive care and treated for jaundice but she is now back home in Peacehaven, East Sussex.
“I wanted to call her Lucky! Now she is here, it’s amazing. The staff who delivered Bella-Mae were incredible. But we are still angry,” Chris added.
NHS Trust boss Duncan Selbie has apologised and held a probe to avoid further blunders at the hospital, which carries out 6,000 scans a year.
“Human error of this sort is extremely unusual,” he stated. (ANI)
- Baby's life saved with liver transplant - Mar 10, 2012
- Stillborn Brit baby 'comes back to life after 25 minutes' - Mar 03, 2011
- Baby's cancer removed while in mother's womb - Jun 23, 2012
- Kym Marsh back in the hospital - Feb 14, 2011
- 'Britain's Got Talent' judge Amanda Holden suffers miscarriage - Feb 06, 2011
- Power of positive thinking: Girl saves mother with love letters - Nov 05, 2011
- Kourtney Kardashian angry with mother - Jul 27, 2012
- Donna Kelly was lying upside down for months to save her baby - Dec 21, 2011
- Showbiz pals support Amanda Holden after baby tragedy - Feb 07, 2011
- Doctors perform sex change operation on toddler - Nov 30, 2011
- Baby with two heads born in Brazil - Dec 22, 2011
- Brit mum's "miracle baby" after suffering 18 miscarriages - Feb 19, 2010
- Baby born with two heads in Brazil - Dec 21, 2011
- Brit woman gives birth to own cousin after becoming surrogate for aunt - Apr 07, 2011
- Kurt Russell excited about Kate Hudson's pregnancy - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: bella mae, blunders, compassion, east sussex, eight days, heartbeat, human error, incubator, intensive care, intuition, jaundice, little miracle, medics, nhs trust, peacehaven, royal sussex county hospital, saffron, sofia, sussex county, womb