Brit man, 75, back in jail after spending 50 of last 56 years in slammerOctober 2nd, 2010 - 6:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 2 (ANI): A British man, who committed his first theft during World War Two and has spent 50 of the past 56 years in prison, is back behind bars at the age of 75.
Dennis O’Brien is one of Britain’s longest serving criminals and boasts 35 convictions for 70 crimes since he was caught stealing aged nine years old in 1945.
The petty criminal, who is described by fellow lags as “a bit of a rascal”, has been locked up 13 times for burglary, forgery, arson and handling stolen goods.
O’Brien gave the thumbs up as he was sent down for another two years at Norwich Crown Court on September 30 for stealing 7,900 pounds of antiques from a stately home and handling stolen goods.
“His offending goes back a very long way. Mr O’Brien is 75 years old and he was first before the courts in 1945,” the Daily Mail quoted Jonathan Dunne, prosecuting, as saying.
“He has a large number of previous convictions for house breaking, burglary and the like and served over the years very lengthy prison sentences,” he revealed.
Melanie Benn, defending, added: “Mr O’Brien is somewhat unabashed about his criminal behaviour.
“He’s 75 and should be sitting in front of a fire wearing slippers and drinking whisky rather than burgling.
“He describes himself as institutionalised and that is very much the situation.”
“Given the amount of time spent in the penal system it would be surprising if had learnt after 75 years a different way to live but that is the situation we are left with,” she stated.
O’Brien was first jailed in 1954 at the age of 19 after he was found guilty of robbery and sentenced to three years imprisonment.
Since then he has been jailed for forgery, handling stolen goods, wounding, burglary, arson and possession of a knife. (ANI)
- Dumped by girlfriend, man feeds her hamster to dog - Apr 26, 2012
- Judge says jail is 'too easy' for crook - Oct 02, 2011
- One-armed bandit jailed after robbing for 35 years - Dec 19, 2011
- LiLo facing 3 years in state prison over 'necklace theft' - Feb 06, 2011
- Twits claim Harrison Ford appeared 'drunk' on TV - Nov 24, 2010
- Sleep problems may cause kids to become aggressive - Jun 01, 2011
- Zardari remits sentences of prisoners - Feb 04, 2012
- Prince Charles' ex-harpist escapes jail term - Dec 23, 2009
- Former Liberian president jailed for 50 years - May 30, 2012
- Ministers take high 'moral ground' after conviction (Punjab Newsletter) - May 12, 2012
- Burglar to get his 83,000 pounds from police - Apr 06, 2012
- Burglar who targetted elderly women gets 15 years in jail - Jun 08, 2011
- Rare Shakespeare folio goes on display at Durham University - Jan 16, 2011
- Godhra train burning case sentencing March 1 (Third Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Godhra train carnage sentencing March 1 (Second Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,