Brit kids aged 10 given the legal power to punish teenage thugsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:42 am ICT by admin
The ‘peer panel’ experiment, which began with a pilot scheme yesterday, could be rolled out nationwide. Police chiefs believe the scheme, which has been given a Treasury grant of almost 500,000 pounds, will create extra pressure on troublemakers to reform.
Critics, however, are astonished over the move, as they believe that kids at that age would not be able to judge right from wrong. There are also fears that the young ‘jurors’ will be open to intimidation by offenders living in the same area or even going to the same school.
The first children’s court, based on a U.S. idea, opened yesterday in Preston. One of a series of pilot projects to be run in the North-West, it aims to punish 300 young criminals in its first year, rising to 500 a year by 2009.
It will deal with offenders under 17 who admit their guilt and are referred by police or youth offending teams. They will face panels of four children under minimal adult supervision.
Some panel members will be youngsters identified by police as being on the brink of falling into criminal behaviour themselves. Others will selected from schools. The oldest member will be a ‘peer advocate’, aged over 15, who will take the leading role.
There will also be a peer usher, who will escort the offender into the room, a peer administrator to supervise proceedings and a peer mentor who will act in a similar capacity to a lawyer for the offender. (ANI)
- Brit MPs propose to take away items from perpetrators as Asbos are scrapped - Feb 07, 2011
- When 'Mahatma Gandhi' showed up at Halle Berry's house - Jul 24, 2010
- Brit criminals to get stolen bicycles from police to find jobs! - Aug 14, 2010
- Britain rioters were from 44 nations - Oct 24, 2011
- Freed UK criminals going on rape, murder sprees despite being under supervision - Oct 28, 2010
- Revealed: Britain's youngest crime suspect, just 3 - Sep 20, 2009
- Fearless kids less kind - Nov 14, 2010
- Crooks to get cycles for an honest life - Aug 15, 2010
- Every 20 minutes a kid sexually assaulted in Britain - May 26, 2011
- A British school where kids learn head massage - Oct 03, 2011
- Warm parenting offers hope for callous, unemotional kids - Jul 25, 2012
- Delinquent kids don't always take to crime - Jul 25, 2010
- Riot control weapon that makes guys wet themselves (The Funny Side) - Jun 22, 2012
- Polish president slams hooliganism at Euro 2012 - Jun 15, 2012
- Six-year-old boys sexually assault girls of same age - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: 300, adult supervision, astonished, criminal behaviour, extra pressure, graffiti vandalism, hooligans, mail, peer mentor, pilot projects, pilot scheme, police chiefs, social behaviour, vandalism reports, young criminals