Brit-Indian industrialists hand over Gandhi memorabilia to President PatilOctober 28th, 2009 - 11:23 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravi Khandelwal
London, Oct.27 (ANI): President Pratibha Patil was given Mahatma Gandhi’s memorabilia here on Wednesday in a ceremony held at India House (Indian High Commission) by two Indian-origin industrialists Ghulam Noon and Nathu Ram Puri.
President Patil, speaking on this occasion, thanked both the industrialists for “procuring Gandhiji’s papers as well as other items which have been gifted to India this time and on earlier occasions also as they are tribute to Gandhi and a symbol of their love and affection for India.”
The memorabilia includes a series of letters written by Gandhi and a piece of signed cloth sold by Sotheby’s on July 14, 2009 for 17,500 pounds.
The items comprised three signed letters by Gandhi, a signed Khadi cloth that was said to have been worn by Mahatma Gandhi; two signed postcards by Gandhi and a series of letters by Jawaharlal Nehru to freedom fighter Mridula Sarabhai and to Maulana Abdul Bari, an Islamic scholar and a leading figure in the Khilafat movement. The letters to Bari were written in Urdu.
“It was my conviction that this letter should not go in the hands of anyone else but …the hands of Govt. of India. We were just a catalyst instrument in buying these letters and handing it over to the Govt. of India like we have done previously some years back,” said
President Patil is on a three-day state visit to London as part of her weeklong trip to U.K and Cyprus. (ANI)
- Patil to bring back Gandhi items from London - Oct 23, 2009
- NRIs jointly buy Nehru, Gandhi letters in London auction - Jul 14, 2009
- London duo hand over Gandhi letters to Patil - a gift to India - Oct 28, 2009
- Bringing back Gandhi's memorabilia will be most significant: President Patil - Oct 27, 2009
- President Patil inaugurates World Philatelic Exhibition 'INDIPEX 2011' - Feb 12, 2011
- President Pratibha Patil meets Gordon Brown - Oct 29, 2009
- Patil opens World Philatelic Exhibition in Delhi - Feb 12, 2011
- Stamp of khadi for philatelists at exhibition - Feb 12, 2011
- From huts to high streets: Khadi comes of age (Feature) - Sep 30, 2011
- Gandhi and King - Obama's tryst with two heroes in Mani Bhavan - Nov 03, 2010
- Mahatma Gandhi's glasses, prayer book up for auction - Apr 02, 2012
- Khadi Tricolour business, sales increases ahead of Independence Day - Aug 13, 2010
- Event to popularise Khadi to be held in Delhi - Feb 19, 2011
- After Obamas visit, Mani Bhavan expects tourism boost - Nov 07, 2010
- Gandhi items' auction disappoints collector - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: bari, catalyst, freedom fighter, gandhiji, govt of india, indian high commission, indian origin, industrialists, islamic scholar, jawaharlal nehru, july 14, khilafat movement, love and affection, mahatma gandhi, president pratibha patil, puri, ravi, sarabhai, sotheby s, weeklong trip