Brit-Indian honeymooner Shrien Dewani’s family to fund school in IndiaJanuary 7th, 2011 - 6:36 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 7(ANI): The family of Shrien Dewani, the Brit-Indian millionaire accused of conspiring to have his wife Anni killed during their honeymoon in Cape Town, has said that they are raising money to fund a school in India in her honour.
According to News24, efforts by Shrien’s family has raised over 9 000 pounds from well-wishers wanting to pay tribute to his murdered 28-year-old wife.
“Anni has been taken from us all and we won’t get her back, but what we can do is give to, and help, other people,” a member of the family said.
The money will go towards a school for about 500 pupils from tribes around the border of Gujarat and Maharashtra.
Shrien and Anni were two weeks into their Cape Town honeymoon when the taxi they were in was hijacked in the Khayelitsha township by two men armed with guns on November 13 last year.
The 28-year-old Anni was shot dead by the robbers, but Shrien was released unharmed.
Shrien was later arrested in the UK on suspicion of conspiring to have his wife killed.
Thirty-one-year-old, who is currently out on bail, is due to appear in a British court for a preliminary extradition hearing on January 20.
His lawyers will argue that there is no proper evidence against him and that his case will be prejudiced in South Africa, where trials are conducted by a judge without a jury. (ANI)
- Brit-Indian honeymooner Shrien Dewani on 24-hour suicide watch - Jan 15, 2011
- South African cops quiz rent boy over Brit-Indian honeymooner Shrien Dewani - Jan 20, 2011
- Murdered Indian origin bride's family brands in-laws' India school plan 'PR stunt' - Jan 08, 2011
- Brit-Indian carjack hubby plotted bride's murder in South Africa: New suspect - Dec 13, 2010
- Brit-Indian honeymooner murder suspects splurged in Cape Town slum bar after event - Jan 22, 2011
- Brit-Indian carjack hubby 'paid off murder cabbie on CCTV' - Dec 09, 2010
- Brit-Indian hubby's alleged involvement in bride's murder 'unforgivable': Anni's sister - Dec 10, 2010
- Brit-Indian carjack husband fears being implicated in wife's murder: Source - Nov 25, 2010
- SA Prosecutor calls Brit-Indian honeymooner 'guilty fugitive' over wife's murder - Feb 20, 2011
- 'I wouldn't have left a dog to die like that,' says uncle of murdered Indian origin bride - Jan 09, 2011
- Brit-Indian bride 'was executed in cold blood' in South Africa - Dec 26, 2010
- Murdered Indian-origin bride's family to retrace last hours of her life - Mar 02, 2011
- Honeymoon murder: Shrien Dewani to be extradited to South Africa - Aug 10, 2011
- Brit-Indian honeymooner murder accused says hubby ordered killing - Feb 03, 2011
- Brit-Indian carjack hubby planned to share 5 million pound love nest with murdered wife - Dec 05, 2010
Tags: brit, cape town, dewani, extradition, gujarat, honeymoon, honeymooner, honour, jan 7, january 20, london jan, maharashtra, member of the family, millionaire, old wife, proper evidence, pupils, raising money, robbers, well wishers