Brit hairdresser sued for refusing to hire head scarved Muslim womanNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:19 am ICT by admin
Alleging religious discrimination, Noah was quoted by the Daily Mail as saying that she was told by Desrosiers that she needed her staff to display their hairstyles to the public. Noah, however, insisted that wearing her headscarf was essential to her beliefs.
Desrosiers, who set up the Wedge salon in King’s Cross, North London, 18 months ago, says she faces financial ruin if she loses the case.
She denies any discrimination and insists it is an “absolutely basic” job requirement.
“When a potential client walks past on the street, they look into a salon at the stylists to get an impression of what haircut they are going to get there. The image I have built my salon on is very urban, funky, punky. That is the look I am going for,” Desrosiers said.
“It has nothing to do with religion. But I now feel like I have been branded a racist. My name is being dragged through the mud. This girl is suing me for more than I earn in a year,” she added.
The case will be heard at the Central London Employment Tribunal in January. (ANI)
- Muslim woman in UK wins 4000 pounds in headscarf racial row - Jun 18, 2008
- Denise Richards to launch haircare range - Jan 04, 2012
- Italian hairstylist Ferretti opens salon in Delhi - Nov 05, 2011
- Ritchie, best hairstylist on planet? - Aug 08, 2012
- Hairstyling the African way in Indian capital (With Image) - Apr 06, 2011
- Hudgens gets hair extensions - Sep 12, 2011
- More than 11 million women tried the 'Aniston cut' - May 26, 2010
- All about fashion backstage - from stylist Ambika Pillai - Apr 25, 2011
- Maria Sharapova's new haircut sparks internet frenzy - Apr 18, 2012
- Bob or pixie, cut it short this summer - May 19, 2010
- The heat is on! Dos and don'ts for hair care - Jun 01, 2012
- Hairstylist reveals Kate's wedding 'hair do' secrets - May 01, 2011
- Cyrus hiding her new short hair? - Aug 15, 2012
- Duff likes to experiment with hair - Apr 19, 2011
- Cheryl Cole's endorsement sends hairspray sales soaring - Aug 09, 2010
Tags: alleging, brit, bushra, central london, daily mail, desrosiers, employment tribunal, financial ruin, hair salon, haircut, hairdresser, hairstyles, headscarf, london employment, muslim woman, noah said, north london, punky, racist, religious discrimination