Brit actor slams sports world for not accepting homosexualityJanuary 22nd, 2010 - 4:23 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan. 22 (ANI): British actor Sir Ian McKellen has slammed the sports world for not being accepting enough of homosexuality.
In an interview to BBC, McKellen said the sports world should be “ashamed of itself” for the lack of acceptance.
“When it comes to the business of simply being honest about who they are, some of them become little shrinking violets because they’re afraid, probably, of being booed from the terraces, and that must be a horrible experience and shame on people who do it,” he said.
McKellen, who is open about his homosexuality, said sports stars were “absolutely admirable people”, but were afraid of negative reaction among fans.
“But it ain’t [sic] going to stop someone being a fantastic footballer because they’re honest about their private lives, is it?” he said.
“I don’t believe so and the world is changing and sport, I’m afraid, is very slow to catch up,” he added.
His comments come just weeks after Welsh rugby star Gareth Thomas revealed that he is gay.
Thomas said he had hidden his sexuality for many years from all but his closest colleagues. (ANI)
- Rourke to lose teeth for rugby role - Jan 04, 2011
- Mickey Rourke to play gay rugby player in new movie - Dec 28, 2010
- Rourke plans to make movie on gay rugby star - Jul 19, 2010
- Rourke to play gay rugby player in a biopic - Dec 28, 2010
- Mickey Rourke Desires to be Gay Rugby Player Gareth Thomas - Dec 29, 2010
- McKellen wants pantomime comeback - Aug 26, 2011
- Mickey Rourke signing up real sports stars for new movie - Jan 15, 2011
- Mickey Rourke to remove teeth for rugby role - Jan 03, 2011
- John Lennon 'didn't want to be a dead hero' - Dec 09, 2010
- Morgan says Sheen is train wreck who makes his children suffer - Apr 28, 2011
- Tracy Morgan says that Charlie Sheen is making a fool of himself - Apr 27, 2011
- New Zealand PM Key nervous to face Warne - Mar 09, 2011
- Sir Ian McKellen says actors call each other 'darling' when they forget names - Apr 12, 2010
- Ian McKellen May Opt Out Of "The Hobbit" For Production Delays - Jul 08, 2010
- McKellen considered quitting 'The Hobbit' - Jan 14, 2011
Tags: admirable people, bbc, british actor, colleagues, footballer, gareth thomas, gay, horrible experience, ian mckellen, london jan, private lives, sexuality, shame, shrinking violets, sir ian mckellen, sports stars, sports world, terraces, welsh rugby