Bristol Palin now says abstinence is a ‘realistic’ option for teensMay 7th, 2009 - 5:35 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 7 (ANI): Alaska Governor Sarah Palin’s daughter Bristol, an 18-year-old unwed mother, says that abstinence is a ‘realistic’ option for teenagers.
Bristol, who is a Teen Ambassador to The Candie’s Foundation, did a turnabout on May 6 with her views on teen sex, and told ABC’s “Good Morning America” that she wished she had waited to have sex.
She also said that abstinence was a realistic way for teens to avoid unwanted pregnancy.
“Regardless of what I did personally, I just think that abstinence is the only way you can effectively, 100 percent foolproof way you can prevent pregnancy,” Fox News quoted her as saying.
The teenage mom had in a February 16 interview said that while teens should wait to have sex, advocating abstinence was unrealistic.
“I think abstinence is … I don’t know how to put it … everyone should be abstinent or whatever, but it’s not realistic at all,” she had said at the time.
Levi Johnston, Palin’s former fiance and the father of her baby Tripp, echoed that earlier view, saying that abstinence was “not realistic” for young people.
He said that sexually active teens needed to learn about contraception as well.
“Abstinence is a great idea,” Johnston told “CBS This Morning” in an interview.
“But I also think you need to enforce, you know, condoms and birth control and other things like that to have safe sex. I don’t just think telling young kids, ‘You can’t have sex,’ it’s not going to work,” he added. (ANI)
- Teen mom Bristol Palin goes clubbing after celebrating 'National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy' - May 09, 2010
- Track Palin & wife expecting their first child - Jul 21, 2011
- Bristol Palin appears on The View - Jul 08, 2011
- Bristol Palin goes clubbing after Prevent Teen Pregnancy event - May 07, 2010
- Bristol Palin to make her acting debut in 'The Secret Life of the American teenager' - Feb 24, 2010
- Bristol Palin to Debut On 'Secret Life' TV Show - Feb 24, 2010
- Bristol Palin all set to get $30,000 per speech - May 19, 2010
- Bristol Palin has a new boyfriend - Jan 25, 2011
- Sarah Palin's daughter claims she doesn't take financial help from mum - May 07, 2010
- Bristol Palin to marry ex-boyfriend - Jul 15, 2010
- Things you never knew about Sarah Palin - Nov 19, 2010
- Levi Johnston And Bristol Palin Together Again? - Jun 16, 2010
- Bristol Palin talks about abstinence and safe sex in teen pregnancy ad - Nov 17, 2010
- Bristol Palin's advice to girls: Think before having sex - May 21, 2009
- Levi Johnston And Bristol Palin Resolve To Activate Steps To Amicably Rear Their Baby - Jun 16, 2010
Tags: abstinence, alaska governor sarah palin, birth control, candie, cbs this morning, condoms, contraception, fiance, fox news, good morning america, governor sarah palin, levi, realistic option, safe sex, sarah palin, teenage mom, turnabout, unwanted pregnancy, unwed mother, young kids