Bride-to-be dies after going on 500 calories-a-day diet before weddingSeptember 9th, 2009 - 5:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 9 (ANI): A Brit bride-to-be is said to have died after she went on a 500 calories-a-day diet plan, in a bid to lose weight before her wedding.
It was revealed at an inquest that Samantha Clowe, 34, was “fit and well” when she started the diet, but passed away 11 weeks later, after losing three stone from her original 17st 6lb.
Clowe, a metal researcher, had got her GP’s approval before she started the LighterLife diet of special soup, bars and shakes.
Her fiance Andrew Smith found her collapsed at the home they shared in Leeds.
“She said she wanted respect at work and didn’t want to be a fat bride,” the Daily Star quoted her mother Barbara as saying at the inquest.
Pathologist Dr Alfredo Walker said a post-mortem failed to establish a cause of death.
“It may be related to her low calorie diet and weight loss,” he said.
Coroner David Hinchliff, who recorded a narrative verdict, said Clowe probably died from cardiac arrhythmia, when the heart stops.
“LighterLife is a clinically monitored programme and has helped 150,000 people lose weight,” a LighterLife spokesman said.
“When she died she was still clinically obese,” he added. (ANI)
- Ultra low calorie diet advert banned from TV for misleading viewers - Apr 03, 2011
- Pauline Quirke reveals that her weight problems made her miserable - Mar 05, 2012
- 1 in 3 New Year's dieters are secret 'snack-ers'! - Jan 05, 2010
- Britain's fattest woman weighs 254 kg - Feb 16, 2012
- Lingerie model dies while asleep - Aug 26, 2010
- Summer best time to shed weight - Apr 04, 2012
- Lose weight post-pregnancy - but don't rush it - Jun 15, 2012
- Dieting mum dies after drinking 7 pints of water in 2hrs - Dec 12, 2008
- Britain's fattest orangutan Oshine loses 20 kg after being put on a diet - Jul 30, 2011
- Britney doesn't rule out surgery to get perfect figure - Mar 10, 2011
- Dieting makes Eva Green depressed - May 04, 2012
- Weight loss supplements are no good - Mar 07, 2012
- 'Diet in a box' delivered to your door-the latest slimming fad in UK - Dec 13, 2010
- Hathaway desperate to lose weight - Mar 31, 2012
- Kate Middleton's pre-wedding diet revealed - bags of sweets! - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: alfredo, andrew smith, calories, cardiac arrhythmia, cause of death, coroner, daily star, diet plan, fiance, inquest, leeds, lighterlife diet, low calorie diet, mother barbara, narrative, pathologist, post mortem, researcher, spokesman, weight loss