BRICS countries’ ministers hold meetingApril 13th, 2011 - 3:17 pm ICT by IANS
Sanya (China), April 13 (IANS) Ministers from the five BRICS countries were gathered Wednesday in China’s Sanya city to discuss issues of common concern so as to deepen cooperation among the emerging economies.
BRICS is an acronym for Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. BRICS summit is to take place Thursday.
BRICS ministers exchanged views on the global economic situation and each country’s macro-economic policies after the global financial crisis, Xinhua reported.
The meeting was attended by Chinese Minister of Commerce Chen Deming, Indian Minister of Commerce and Industry Anand Sharma, South African Minister of Trade and Industry Rob Davies, Brazilian Deputy Foreign Minister Carneiro Leao, and Russian Vice Minister of Economic Development Oleg Fomichev.
The ministers discussed how to safeguard the interests of developing nations in multilateral cooperation.
They agreed that the world economy was still recovering from the global financial crisis in 2008.
The ministers called on all countries to strengthen coordination in macro-economic policy-making so as to ensure further economic recovery and a robust, sustainable and balanced growth.
They agreed to deepen cooperation among member countries through expanding trade and investment and promised to oppose any kinds of trade protectionism.
The ministers reiterated their support for Russia’s entry into the World Trade Organisation in 2011.
- BRICS Summit: China agrees to prioritise import of more value-added products from India, Brazil - Apr 13, 2011
- Extremely unreasonable for Russia to be excluded from WTO: China - Apr 14, 2011
- BRICS worried over global economy uncertainty, vow to enhance coordination - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS Summit - Facts at a glance - Mar 28, 2012
- BRICS summit to focus on fixing global recession: India - Jan 31, 2012
- World economic recovery uneven, says Chinese Trade Minister - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS ministers to discuss trade, investment - Mar 27, 2012
- BRICS to work together at G20, WTO - Mar 28, 2012
- Manmohan invites more foreign investment - Apr 14, 2011
- Hu calls for reform of global monetary, financial systems - Apr 14, 2011
- BRICS countries becoming rule makers: Chinese expert - Mar 29, 2012
- BRICS cooperation to benefit Africa: expert - Apr 11, 2011
- BRICS targets $500 bn intra-group trade by 2015 - Mar 28, 2012
- BRICS academics to flesh out agenda for summit - Mar 03, 2012
- BRICS to explore setting up development bank - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: anand sharma, chinese minister, deming, developing nations, economic policies, economic recovery, emerging economies, global economic situation, global financial crisis, india china, indian minister, minister of commerce, multilateral cooperation, sanya city, south african minister, trade protectionism, vice minister, world economy, world trade organisation, xinhua