BRIC should consider establishment of a Joint Business Forum: ManmohanJune 16th, 2009 - 11:31 pm ICT by ANI
Yekaterinburg (Russia), June 16 (ANI): Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh today said that BRIC (Brazil-Russia-India-China (BRIC) summit) should consider the establishment of a Joint Business Forum which can identify areas for cooperation such as science and technology, energy, agriculture, aviation, pharmaceuticals and services.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Chinese President Hu Jintao and Brazil’s President Lula da Silva discussed a host of global issues, including the financial crisis, food and energy security, climate change and international terrorism.
“Our cooperation in the G-20 process must be backed up by cooperation in the real economy. The volume of trade among BRIC countries has grown rapidly in recent years. Intra-BRIC investments have also grown,” Dr. Singh said while addressing the summit.
“The important issue today is to implement the decisions that we have taken. Finance Ministers and Central Bank representatives of BRIC countries have met and identified the areas where our efforts should be focused. Our countries should also keep in contact with each other in the run up to the next G-20 Leaders Summit in Pittsburgh,” he said.
“We also recognised the continuing need to redefining the role of institutions of global economic and financial governance to deal with the problems of today and to reflect contemporary realities,” he said.
He further said that In India has launched a number of fiscal stimulus packages including additional public spending, amounting to over three percent of its GDP.
“Our monetary policy initiatives have been targeted towards maintaining a comfortable liquidity position and ensuring that credit delivery remains on track. Our banking system remains well regulated, capitalized and profitable,” he added.
“The Joint Statement and the Statement on Global Food Security that we will be adopting later today provide a road-map for our future work,” Dr Singh said. (ANI)
- BRICS to ink currency pacts, to push joint bank - Mar 28, 2012
- BRICS Summit - Facts at a glance - Mar 28, 2012
- Manmohan Singh arrives in China for BRICS summit - Apr 12, 2011
- BRICS source of stability in time of recession: PM - Dec 15, 2011
- BRICS to sign pacts for trade in local currencies - Mar 26, 2012
- BRICS to explore setting up development bank - Mar 07, 2012
- BRICS should coordinate in key areas of development: PM - Apr 12, 2011
- India, China ties have acquired global significance: Manmohan Singh - Apr 12, 2011
- World economic recovery uneven, says Chinese Trade Minister - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS targets $500 bn intra-group trade by 2015 - Mar 28, 2012
- Manmohan Singh to discuss Arab and North Africa unrest at BRICS summit - Apr 11, 2011
- BRICS to set up joint bank, backs dialogue on Iran, Syria (Roundup) - Mar 29, 2012
- Manmohan Singh wants nuclear summit to focus on terrorism, proliferation - Apr 09, 2010
- BRICS nations working to facilitate intra-grouping trade - Jul 19, 2012
- BRICS seeks revamp in global monetary system (Roundup) - Apr 14, 2011
Tags: chinese president hu jintao, credit delivery, crisis food, dmitry medvedev, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, fiscal stimulus, global food security, hu jintao, india china, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, liquidity position, lula da silva, manmohan singh, policy initiatives, president hu jintao, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, yekaterinburg russia