BRIC now becomes BRICS with entry of South Africa: PranabFebruary 19th, 2011 - 12:47 pm ICT by ANI
Paris, Feb 19 (ANI): Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee has confirmed that South Africa was the latest entry in the BRIC-Brazil, Russia, India and China association of countries.
He said this at Paris, the French capital on Friday.
Interacting to mediapersons, he said that the delegates of the different BRIC countries, henceforth BRICS with the entry of South Africa, exchanged their views on common financial issues during the multilateral meet.
“Yes South Africa has joined this meeting, we have welcomed South Africa now BRIC is no longer BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) it is BRICS, one ‘S’ has been added to it that denotes South Africa.
“BRIC meeting normally takes place to identify the common position as far as possible on different issues which we discuss in the G20. From that point of view we shared our views, we exchange our opinions and I do feel there is convergence of views on many issues but in international relations one did not expect that there would be convergence on every issue,” said Mukherjee.
The finance ministers of the BRICS held their first meeting on the sidelines of the G-20 Paris conference.
The first BRICS meeting will held be hosted by China in the month of April. (ANI)
- BRICS can transform global governance: India - Mar 05, 2012
- PM backs dialogue to resolve West Asia crisis - Mar 30, 2012
- BRICS to explore setting up development bank - Mar 07, 2012
- BRICS to work together at G20, WTO - Mar 28, 2012
- BRICS countries' ministers hold meeting - Apr 13, 2011
- India, Brazil sign six pacts (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- BRICS to sign unique pact at Sanya to use own currencies for lending and grants - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS will offer huge opportunities for South Africa: Zuma - Apr 12, 2011
- BRICS Summit - Facts at a glance - Mar 28, 2012
- Zuma arrives in China for BRICS meet - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS academics to flesh out agenda for summit - Mar 03, 2012
- BRICS has extremely healthy global presence: Brazilian president - Apr 11, 2011
- Mukherjee to visit US to attend IMF-World Bank meeting - Apr 16, 2012
- BRICS to sign pacts for trade in local currencies - Mar 26, 2012
- India proposes working group for BRICS development bank - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: bric brazil, bric countries, brics, china association, convergence, delegates, finance minister, finance ministers, first meeting, french capital, g20, India, international relations, month of april, paris conference, point of view, pranab mukherjee, russia, sidelines, south africa