Brian David Mitchell found guilty in Elizabeth Smart kidnapping guiltyDecember 11th, 2010 - 2:18 am ICT by BNO News
SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH (BNO NEW) — Former street preacher Brian David Mitchell was convicted on Friday of the 2002 kidnapping of 14-year-old Elizabeth Smart from her Utah bedroom, only to resurface months later after a horrific series of sexual abuse.
Mitchell, 57, was convicted of kidnapping Smart, now 23, on June 5, 2002 when he broke into her Utah bedroom and placed a knife up to her neck, threatening to kill her and her family if she did not comply. Her 9-year-old sister witnessed the kidnapping but kept quiet in fear.
Hours later, after Smart had been led to a camp in the woods, Mitchell performed a ceremony to ‘marry’ the child. He then raped her at the camp.
The sexual abuse continued for nine months in which she was submitted to daily rapes and forced to watch pornographic movies. He often forced her to drink alcohol in order to lower her resistance.
On Friday, during a trial that had been delayed for many years over mental competency issues, Mitchell was found guilty on one count of kidnapping and one count of unlawful transportation of a minor with the intent to engage in sexual activity.
Late last month, Mitchell was taken to a Salt Lake City hospital after he collapsed in court. He had earlier entered the court singing “O Holy Night” and was seated at the defense table in shackles when he suddenly stopped singing, began yelling and then collapsed.
Mitchell had constantly exhibited odd behavior throughout the trial. On one occasion, he was even thrown out of court for singing hymns for about 30 minutes.
Mitchell’s sentencing is scheduled for May 25. He faces up to life in prison.
- Elizabeth Smart Kidnapping Trial Starting Soon - Nov 01, 2010
- Elizabeth Smart Testifies For Second Day, Recalls Her Horrific Experiences - Nov 10, 2010
- Brian Mitchell Faked Mental Illness In Elizabeth Smart Trial - Mar 02, 2010
- Elizabeth Smart Trial Begins, Accused Behaves Erratically On First Day - Nov 02, 2010
- After Eight Years Elizabeth Smart's Kidnapping Trial Begins Today - Nov 01, 2010
- US kidnap victim, 21, says she was raped daily during nine-month captivity - Oct 02, 2009
- Elizabeth Smart Speaks About Her Abduction - Nov 09, 2010
- Notable cases of abducted children - Aug 28, 2009
- Elizabeth Smart testifies that she was raped daily by Mitchell - Oct 02, 2009
- Elizabeth Smart Recalls Her 2002 Abduction Episode - Aug 28, 2009
- Elizabeth Smart trial to begin today with the jury selection - Nov 01, 2010
- Mitchell Case Still Under Wraps Of Delusional Disorder - Dec 01, 2009
- Elizabeth Smart Faces Erstwhile Captor In Court - Oct 02, 2009
- Scottish Pc jailed for life for raping, sexually assaulting vulnerable women - Jan 12, 2011
- Rapist British cop sentenced to life in jail - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: bno, brian david mitchell, david mitchell, elizabeth smart kidnapping, hymns, life in prison, mental competency issues, nine months, o holy night, odd behavior, pornographic movies, rapes, salt lake city, salt lake city hospital, salt lake city utah, sexual abuse, sexual activity, shackles, street preacher, unlawful transportation