Brett Lee surgery successfulJanuary 4th, 2009 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 4 (IANS) Australian fast bowler Brett Lee underwent surgery on the left ankle here Saturday and it revealed that he bowled with a broken foot in the second innings in the Melbourne Test. The operation, however, was successful and if his rehabilitation programme goes as expected then Lee would be available for selection for the Twenty20 World Cup in England later this year.
“The surgery involved the removal of bone fragments that had been causing pain at the back of the ankle. As this injury is expected to keep him out of cricket for some time, it was decided it would be an opportune time to address the ankle injury,” Cricket Australia (CA) said in a statement Sunday.
Australian team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said : “If Brett’s rehabilitation programme goes to plan he is expected to be available for selection for Australia for the ICC Twenty20 World Cup later this year.”
The fast bowler will also remain on track for a full recovery in time for this year’s Ashes series.
Surgeon David Young removed floating fragments and a small bone spur from Lee’s left ankle, and further exploration showed that the 32-year-old had also broken the fourth metatarsal in his left foot during Australia’s loss at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) against South Africa.
Lee’s agent, Neil Maxwell, said his client had required up to eight pain-killing injections to get through the second innings at the MCG.
“I saw him take his shoe off after the game and it looked like a pin cushion from all the needles. It was a gutsy effort,” Maxwell was quoted as saying by The Age.
Lee will return to Sydney Monday and has been ruled out of Australia’s forthcoming tour of South Africa.
- Lee ruled out of tri-series with broken toe - Feb 05, 2012
- Lee bowled with broken foot in second innings of Boxing Day Test - Jan 04, 2009
- Seven Australian cricketers including Ponting on road to recovery - May 26, 2011
- Ryan Harris may undergo surgery for ankle injury - Dec 28, 2010
- Pattinson ruled out of India series, Star named replacement - Jan 06, 2012
- Injured Ryan Harris most likely to miss 2011 World Cup - Dec 29, 2010
- Hilfenhaus to replace injured Lee in Australian ODI squad - Feb 06, 2012
- Lee wants to bowl despite broken foot - Mar 01, 2012
- Brett Lee undergoes surgery in Cape Town, returning home - Oct 11, 2011
- 'Lee firming for World Cup selection after impressing in Melbourne ODI' - Jan 17, 2011
- Hastings a surprise selection in Australia World Cup squad - Jan 18, 2011
- Shattered Lee vows to come back against Pakistan - Apr 30, 2010
- Harris out of Ashes series with ankle fracture - Dec 28, 2010
- Injured Tuffey ruled out of second Test against Australia - Mar 23, 2010
- Australia recall Pattinson, drop Harris - Feb 28, 2012