Bremen beat Cologne in BundesligaNovember 17th, 2008 - 12:50 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg, Nov 17 (DPA) Werder Bremen enjoyed a much needed 3-1 win over Cologne to move up to seventh in the Bundesliga.Diego opened the scoring for Bremen in Sunday’s only Bundesliga clash with a penalty on the quarter-hour mark while Naldo made it 2-0 with a header just before the break.
Milivoje Novakovic pulled one back for the visitors on 48 minutes but Hugo Almeida restored Bremen’s two-goal cushion seven minutes later.
The win moves Bremen up four places to seventh on 20 points but Thomas Schaaf’s side are still eight adrift of Bayer Leverkusen, who downed Schalke 2-1 to stay top of the Bundesliga Saturday.
Hoffenheim stayed second, level on 28 points with Leverkusen but with a slightly inferior goal difference after edging Wolfsburg 3-2 while champions Bayern Munich lost ground after conceding two late goals in a 2-2 draw at Borussia Moenchengladbach.
Despite the yawning gap to the top, Bremen will take hope from the fact that they are now only five points behind Juergen Klinsmann’s Bayern.
“It doesn’t matter if it was a workmanlike victory or if we played well, all that matters is the points we earned,” said Schaaf.
Cologne went into the game at the Weser stadium two points clear of Bremen but went behind after Frank Baumann was fouled in the area by Pierre Wome, allowing Diego to open the scoring from the resultant spot kick.
Christoph Daum’s side came more into the contest as the half progressed but suffered a sucker punch just before the break as Brazilian Naldo headed home a Torsten Frings corner to double the home side’s lead.
Novakovic took advantage of a piece of misfortune for Bremen defender Per Mertesacker to fire in a low shot from 11 metres to reduce the deficit three minutes after the restart but Almeida quickly restored Bremen’s lead, making it 3-1 with a fierce shot after Pedro Geromel failed to clear his lines.
Claudio Pizarro nearly made it four for Bremen two minutes later but the Uruguayan fired just wide. Almeida also went close twice as Bremen finished the stronger of the two sides.
“We still have a huge deficit to make up put pulled a little back,” said Frings after the game.
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- Cologne relegated, Dortmund break Bundesliga record - May 06, 2012
- Bayern stage faultless performance to stay on top - Sep 25, 2011
- Bremen defender Naldo to miss Leverkusen clash - Jan 26, 2012
- Cologne, Bremen celebrate goal festival at Bundesliga - Dec 11, 2011
- Bundesliga leaders Dortmund five clear of Bayern with win over Cologne - Mar 26, 2012
- Mertesacker saves Bremen as Hamburg and Schalke stumble - Nov 29, 2009
- Bremen go top as Hanover and Bundesliga remember Enke - Nov 22, 2009
- Mainz share points with Hoffenheim in Bundesliga - Feb 18, 2012
- Bayern slips to third place in Bundesliga after shock loss to Mainz - Nov 28, 2011
- Bremen, Hamburg held, Hertha slip to another defeat - Nov 09, 2009
- Leverkusen cruise to victory against Hoffenheim in Bundesliga - Dec 03, 2011
- Borussia Dortmund edge out Bayern Munich in Bundesliga - Nov 20, 2011
- Mainz shock Stuttgart 3-1 in Bundesliga - Nov 05, 2011
- Bremen coach Schaaf delighted to go through - Feb 10, 2010