Brazil’s oil major Petrobras to boost production, exportJune 12th, 2008 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, June 12 (IANS) Brazil’s state-owned energy giant Petrobras will build a new refinery to boost production of gasoline and derivatives for both domestic and export markets as part of a major expansion plan. Petrobras said in a statement that its 22nd refinery would be on stream in 2010 in Rio Grande do Norte state in the northeast and will produce gasoline, diesel and liquefied petroleum gas, EFE news agency reported Thursday.
It did not disclose the refining capacity of the new unit, which is part of a major expansion plan to augment its share in global oil export market.
Company chief Jose Sergio Gabrielli announced last month that Petrobras has the fourth largest crude reserves worldwide. The state energy giant’s 11.7 billion barrels of reserves include several recent huge discoveries in Brazil’s offshore Santos Basin.
Separately, Petrobras said after a meeting with representatives of Ceara state, also in the northeast, that the company has decided to “study the possibility” of installing another refinery there with a capacity to process 300,000 barrels per day. It could be operational in 2014.
Petrobras and the Ceara state government will sign “the initial premises” of this project within 120 days, the company said.
The project in the most advanced stage is the “Abreu e Lima” refinery near the northeastern city of Recife, an initiative being carried out in partnership with Venezuelan state oil giant PdVSA.
Petrobras also is building the Comperj petrochemical complex in southeastern Brazil at a cost of roughly $8 billion and has announced the construction of a new refinery in the northeastern state of Maranhao that will have a refining capacity of 600,000 barrels per day (bpd).
The new refineries are expected to boost the company’s refining capacity by at least one million bpd by 2014.
Brazil became a net oil exporter for the first time last year but is also one of the world’s largest oil consumers.
- Brazilian oil firm says refining shortfall to last until 2013 - Mar 15, 2012
- Woman to head Brazilian oil giant - Jan 24, 2012
- Brazil oil giant announces new find - Aug 04, 2012
- Brazilian firm approves $225 bn investment plan through 2015 - Jul 24, 2011
- Brazil says offshore find holds high-grade oil - Aug 15, 2012
- Brazilian firm makes offshore crude find - Mar 21, 2012
- Brazilian firm finds offshore oil, gas fields - Jul 06, 2011
- Cisco to invest $545 mn in Brazil - Apr 04, 2012
- Brazilian oil giant to invest $11 bn in Mexico - Aug 01, 2011
- Brazilian firm makes oil find - Feb 05, 2012
- Venezuela aims to boost oil output - Dec 21, 2011
- Punj Llyod bags engineering contract from Saudi oil firm - Sep 20, 2010
- Brazilian firm makes deepwater oil find - Aug 27, 2012
- Brazilian police question Chevron's oil clean-up - Nov 21, 2011
- Petrobras finds oil signs during deepwater exploration - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: abreu e lima, crude reserves, energy giant, expansion plan, gabrielli, gasoline diesel, global oil, liquefied petroleum gas, northeastern city, northeastern state, oil consumers, oil export, oil exporter, oil giant, petrobras, rio grande, santos basin, southeastern brazil, state energy, state oil